Motor Truck Cargo Insurance question

Strategy101

Expert
I have a client who has a trucking company partnered with UPS. Their driver got into a wreck which left a bunch of freight and debris on highway. UPS hits them with a $20k cleanup bill.

My business is still very new and I've primarily been selling personal lines. From what I can remember from working in commercial lines, it sounds like this clients needs motor truck cargo Insurance but I'm just wondering how that insurance is not a requirement of UPS.
Or maybe they have that but pollution and debris cleanup isn't automatically included?

Please someone help me out. Is pollution and debris cleanup included in a standard motor cargo policy or do these get endorsed on?
Any other coverages you suggest to avoid this problem for them in the future?

Thanks

Please someone help me out. Is pollution and debris cleanup included in a standard motor cargo policy or do these get endorsed on?
It would depend on the language contained in the policy of the carrier you use. Need to be mindful of what the carrier says he is hauling. UPS used to have an additional insurance that was needed if your package contained anything which could contaminate the rest of the cargo on the truck, not sure if that is still the case, but shipping any liquid item was a real pain and expense.

Back