MSAs Poised for Popularity? -- Lasso focused article

Lasso Healthcare Group MSA

On January 1, 2020, Lasso Healthcare will be rolling out its first group product, a group-focused Medicare Advantage MSA plan.

Employers across the nation are facing a coverage challenge for their 65+ employees. Costs are rising, and it’s becoming more and more expensive to offer health coverage to retirees. This led Lasso Healthcare to ask an important question: why do group Medicare products cost so much to offer when the individual Medicare products are so competitive?

Enter: the Lasso Healthcare Group MSA, an affordable, benefit-rich group product for any sized employee base anywhere in the United States.

I like the concept of the MSA. Especially for U65 Medicare and people on MA plans who hate the network issues.

The issue is the doctor and provider community, who are still not on board with them. They are legally required to take MSA, even if they don't take Advantage plans. And its a huge battle.

Throughout most of my career most of my clients had HD plans. Early on the MSA then HSA. Probably 95% had HD plans, group and individual.

But seniors seem to be more cautious about their money. They live off what they get from SS, sometimes a pension and on rare occasions they have a financial portfolio.

Quite a few are carrying debt and some are aware they will not live long enough to pay it off. And some don't care if they ever pay it off.

My BIL recently bought a condo after being debt free for at least a dozen years. At age 72 and battling stage 4 cancer he knows he will never make the last payment on his 30 yr mortage.

Carrying a credit card or mortgage balance is one thing. Medical debt entirely different. If you are not current on doctor bills many won't treat you until you get caught up.

As @kgmom219 pointed out, I wonder how many providers will take these plans. Many are already getting stiffed by patients who have HD Obamacare plans. Are they willing to stretch it further in hopes the geriatric crowd has more $$$ and will pay their bills?

Guess we will see.

I believe @craig_ritter says any Medicare provider accepting assignment MUST accept an MSA plan.

I can't find a direct statement to that effect on CMS, but I believe bullet 7 on p 59 of Medicare and You (2020) implies that.

Latest posts

Back