• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Mutual of Omaha to retire corporate logo

Insurance Forums Staff

Guru
Sponsor
Insurance Forums Staff submitted a new article

Mutual of Omaha to retire corporate logo
mutual-of-omaha-office.jpg

Omaha-based insurer commits to additional efforts to address racial equity, social justice initiative.
Continue reading the Original Article.

My guess is, 98% of the public who do not work for an insurance carrier, have any idea what is on the logo.

Baby Boomers would probably say Marlon Perkins is in their logo.

Last edited:
It doesn't to 99.1% of people, including American Indians... (I refuse to call them "Native Americans" because those that are alive today are no more Native American than I or anyone else born in this country)

It's corporate pandering. "Me too" if you will.

I doubt the MSM will report this but food makers and sports teams are still in the headlines for changing their logo's.

If what you say is true "99% of the public do not know what they logo is in the first place"... then it hasnt been a very effective logo has it??

Seems like its a case of a private company making a business decision they feel is in the best interest of the company and best interest of the policy holders they are legally bound to serve (being a mutual company).

Having a culturally insensitive logo, in modern times, is a potential financial risk to your company. Which would not be in the best interest of the policy holders they are legally bound to serve.

Very few if any new businesses utilize that type of imagery as a corporate logo this day and age. Why on earth would an established company keep that imagery.... especially if it has not been effective in the first place.... ???

Now perhaps the issue is that some people feel the imagery is not offensive. And are upset a business feels forced to change their logo or name because of an issue they feel is not a "real issue". Here is the thing about that... when the people being depicted in an image feel the image is offensive... by very definition that makes it offensive. Doesnt matter who thinks its not offensive, the only thing making offensive or not, is how it affects the group of people that image depicts.

Going back to the business decision that was made.Times change. Businesses like MoO must stay ahead of the curve if they plan to survive another 100 years. Smart business decision. Good press vs. bad press. You can choose to be stuck in an outdated and insensitive mindset, or you can choose to grow and evolve. MoO made the right decision.

Back