• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

My First Day

souldeux

Guru
1000 Post Club
I'm presently on my first day of being full-time self-employed as an independent agent. I am super duper nervous, but I suppose things are going alright.

I've made about fifty calls today over three and a half hours (I'm not fitting in nearly as many calls-per-hour as I thought I'd be able to). So far, I've had:

Two people who wanted to change their individual plans and requested that I call them back later on today.

One person that wants to put his nine employees on a group plan.

A few angry folks who have hung up on me, but far fewer than I thought I'd have.

Lots and lots of voicemails.

I feel sort of discouraged until I get up and step away for a second. Three decent prospects after 3.5 hours of calling, I don't think that's too bad...is it?

So far, I'm still trying to find what works for me. My script feels a little unnatural right now, but I think that'll come with time.Anyway, that's my story -- just thought I'd share while waiting for my webinar to start!

First of all, 50 calls is a very low volume of calls - even manually dialing you should be able to dial 40 numbers in an hour. I'd also heavily recommend using an auto-dialer which will triple the amount of calls you're able to make manually.

I am looking in to getting a predictive Dialer, has anyone had good luck with them and any good companies to go threw? right now im calling 48 an hour with 1 appt for evey 25 talked to (about 1 appt. for every 1.5 hours of dialing.) I have to call 4 hours per day to generate 3-5 leads.

I would guess that if telemarketing was your main source of prospecting that three to four hundred dials a day would be necessary...

Depends on your revenue goals. Typical numbers in my market...

50 dials per day = 1 new group plan per week

50 contacts = 1 new IFP application (with a dialer that would take you about three hours). I don't track dials made and have no idea what that number is due to using a predictive dialer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I personally use Professional Telemarketing Solutions (www.professionaltelemarketingsolutions.com). Month to month to cost is about $200, I pay quarterly and it works out to about $150 per month.

Last edited:
I would guess that if telemarketing was your main source of prospecting that three to four hundred dials a day would be necessary...

Nailed it on the head. I was averaging one new client per 3 hours of calls using the auto-dialer which dialed 100 numbers her hour on average - or 300 dials = 1 client.

Look at it anyway you want. It's $700 average commission divided by 3 hour or $233 per hour. Not bad for a supplemental activity.

I have to start hitting the phones myself. Do you cold call straight out of the phonebook or do you have a list?

Back