NAIFA Membership

Interesting thread.

I belong still today. Haven't been to a local meeting in over 2 years though:( Haven't written new business since 2006.

Earned my LUTCF, I've taught classes. IMO, the Classes, esp if done locally in a small group, are well worth it. Each week you take stuff back to the office that you can use to get better.

Plus they are advocates for the agent. Discounts on lots of things Including E&O at a discount through CalSurance.

The Monthly Magazine has LOTS of good ideas & a way to stay on top of our industry. Magazine alone is worth it to me. I've used a lot that I've learned from the articles over the years. Good online resources that I've used too.

Interesting thread.

I belong still today. Haven't been to a local meeting in over 2 years though:( Haven't written new business since 2006.

Earned my LUTCF, I've taught classes. IMO, the Classes, esp if done locally in a small group, are well worth it. Each week you take stuff back to the office that you can use to get better.

Plus they are advocates for the agent. Discounts on lots of things Including E&O at a discount through CalSurance.

The Monthly Magazine has LOTS of good ideas & a way to stay on top of our industry. Magazine alone is worth it to me. I've used a lot that I've learned from the articles over the years. Good online resources that I've used too.

I have a friend who is a member and he gave me a couple of magazines a couple of years ago and I forgot about that. It did have some good info.

I agree with most of the responses here. Since the internet has created ease of access of CE credits online, and forums online with rich information like this one. It makes it tough to spend money to take time off work to get less information that I can get off the web sitting in my office.

I've been a member of NAIFA for 2 years. I've attended a few of the local meetings and from my point of view, they are not worth the time. The organization's magazine is informative, but it wouldn't be worth the membership fee. I also joined to earn my LUTCF and will most likely discontinue membership once I have completed the required coursework.

As a P&C agent, I found NAIFA an excellent place to network. Most Life/Health agents do not do P&C. So, if you were looking for a good place to network,, NAIFA is a natural fit.

The value of meetings increases then. I do agree that some associations are better than others.

MDRT is an incredible experience from what I hear. I set it as a goal, but life & internet leads got in my way. From reading about it, the resources online & knowing a few MDRT winners...it is quite a worthy goal IMO.

I still believe the magazine & online resources are quite good. Could one find better? I don't know as I find NAIFA's good enough these days.

I forgot about networking. That was the original reason why I joined... to see if I could "network" to a past president of the MDRT for career guidance. Ended up joining the same career agency as he was in... and well, let's just say that his recommendation of who to partner with didn't work out the way I wanted.

It's funny now. I know that he doesn't go to any NAIFA meetings anymore, but the GA will go and introduce himself as "Gene Mahn's GA". It was kinda funny and pathetic at the same time.

When I started in the biz I was required to join. Was a member up until a little more than a year ago. It doesn't make a lot of sense for me, I'd have to drive over an hour to attend the meetings. Insurance companies hire lobbyists as well, so I'm doing my part writing business.

I was one of those "career Managers" who was pushed to get all my agents to join NALU. The meetings as previously mentioned were lunch meetings and I was not a big lunch eater. Plus bringing new agents in their income was obviously challanged and were always being asked to "donate" to what ever Lupac was raising hell about they needed money for. I left and went Independent 7 years ago and tried to get a "national' or even a "state' membership fee and they refused. I let my membership go. They did not move with the times. I have not missed the monthly magazine either!

Back