New Agent-Suggestions would be great-Thanks

Wait a minute, I'm confused...

You can be indy, or you can be with Mega. But not both.

moonlightandmargaritas, I'm with you, that is confusing to the MAX. I think what he said was that he was either a "Mega - cluster f**k" or just a "Mega f**k."

I'm confused yet. Too many similes to filter through. Damn, it's almost like playing bridge without having the knowledge of the opponents' conventions. (do not ask, I do not play bridge).

The "Rabbi" is being imperious again. Tsk. To severalise himself as a "professional" is to presumably diminish everyone else's standing as less than such. Annoying. Very annoying. The last professional of any consequence of late earned to the tune of $4,300 an hour and mingled with the power elite.

Come on now Healthagent, you cant expect someone who just got their license to go out and start marketing health insurance with no kind of sales training...

Although possible, its unlikely that anyone would make it independent with no idea what competitive commissions are, what plans makes sense when, and how to actually sell a product...

I believe learning from an agency is 100 times more beneficial than sitting in a class for 20 hours and passing a test.

Unless their was some kind of Association that could help new agents get started...

;)Your Welcome

Actually, I'm thinking of every successful independent agent I personally know and none of them worked on salary for an agency 1st. You have it or you don't - sitting behind a desk is of little help.

You're also assuming the training is great - yet there are many people on this board who worked for captive agencies on base pay where the training and support was terrible.

I've been captive for a year and am just about to go independent. The experience gained has been valuable, but probably not critical to my future success or failure.

A good benefit with the right company is having time to make mistakes and learn from them, while still receiving some financial support, separate from commissions. It provides a smoother ride for that tough, first period of time.

Am I glad I started captive? I haven't decided yet.

Would I recommend it to others? There are pros and cons. It depends on the individual and the captive group they select. Every individual is different and every captive company is different. There is not a clean answer here -- just make your best decision and work your butt off.

Eagle1,

Lots of good advice offered here, but one thing you wrote, caught my attention. You said you want to sell Life "from the phone & online if possible". That is a more specialized process and you may have a tough time finding a local agency that can teach you. Many think they can because they are experienced setting appointments on the phone. It is similar but no where near the same. A trainer needs to understand the process, have done it themselves and know the numbers. Regarding the training, our theory is we do our training in the same manner that you want your customers to use to buy from you; via web and phone.

Actually, I'm thinking of every successful independent agent I personally know and none of them worked on salary for an agency 1st. You have it or you don't - sitting behind a desk is of little help.

I did.

As a raw, green person to the insurance world, I started with Prudential as a captive District Agent.

While it was insufferable sometimes, and I grew to loathe it and seek greener pastures, as I look back, some of the lessons I learned were invaluable.

"You've got to pay your dues to sing the blues."

Latest posts

Back