New Kid on the Block

Best to simplify your life and approach it like eating an elephant.

You are going to fast to really be good at anything. Start simple and then branch out as time and experience permits.

I know some agents in the Asian community here and some of them do very well. They work their connections and understand the culture of the community.

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but I believe Asians are careful with their money and good savers. Presenting something that helps to achieve those goals might be a start. They also seem to have a strong sense of family.

You might start with a simple life insurance presentation designed to meet THEIR needs.

Too often agents (both green and experienced) push the high commission product in order to put money in their own pocket and please their manager.

You are better off to make 5 sales with $200 commission than 1 sale with $1000.

You would be surprised how many "tortoise" agents have ended up doing very well vs. the "rabbits" who try and race to the finish line and run by a lot of low hanging fruit.

Old farts were once young, just ask Bob.

Go sell the new parents a policy, put a policy on the newborn, offer to do policy reviews for those that already have coverage.

No one said this would be easy, you have to work now so you can be the go to guy later.

you have to work now so you can be the go to guy later.

Hard lesson to learn, or apply.

I have a friend who is an estate planning attorney. He has been in practice 43 years and has a very laid back and comfortable lifestyle after years of scraping to get by.

Initially he did a little of everything, but really wanted to focus on estate planning. He did literally thousands of wills for as little as $100 in some cases. Over the years he was able to get in to larger and more complex estate cases and now only handles estates of $10 million+.

We had coffee a few weeks ago and I asked him how life was treating him.

His response, "Life is good. My clients are maturing before I do".

The small fee's he charged years ago for drafting wills has turned in to several hundred or thousand dollars in probate and estate settlement fees as his clients have . . . matured.

DaveL said:
Anyone here want to point out the major cons and pros of working with Mass Mutual (me) vs world financial group and it's parent Transamerica (competition). I asked a couple of the senior associates here at my firm, they don't seem to know who these other guys are. Thanks, Dave

World Financial Group, MLM company like Primerica the difference is they are not as captive as Primerica and many of the people there will be retreads from Primerica.

I guess I wasn't too clear, but I meant the pros and cons of the prospects working with me (Mass Mutual) vs. working with the people from World Financial Group.

If you need someone from an internet forum to explain that to you, they'd be better off with WFG.

You need to develop your own value proposition, not rely on someone from the internet to give it to you. Look at what your strengths, the strengths of the office, and Mass Mutual are over WFG.

Back