Obamacare: Is the Repeal for Real?

How would you propose fixing this?
Any fix basically allows someone to game the system. In short, we are telling people not to be responsible because its easier to deal with it later.

I'm not a fan, but the only way I see around this is single payor. Outside of that, you will have ways for people to be irresponsible (not that they would be anymore responsible with single payor, just it wouldn't matter in this sense).

Dan

How would you propose fixing this?
Any fix basically allows someone to game the system. In short, we are telling people not to be responsible because its easier to deal with it later.

I'm not a fan, but the only way I see around this is single payor. Outside of that, you will have ways for people to be irresponsible (not that they would be anymore responsible with single payor, just it wouldn't matter in this sense).

Dan

While single-payer is likely worse for agents in the end, it's likely better for the US as a whole than the mess that we have on our hands now. It's also easier to fiscally pay for single-payer than the mess we have now.

I have always wondered about this argument that Obamacare is more expensive than single payer? Really? Look I think Obamacare is a real stinky diaper, but who can provide the evidence that single payer is cheaper? Really?

I have no idea what is cheaper and even then, it depends how you account for all of the costs.

The only thing I like about single payor is that people don't fall through the cracks on being covered. Its not good at providing availability of services, but it is good at making sure people are covered.

Of course, I do think trying to make Darwin obsolete is a very expensive proposition and unlikely to be sustainable.

Dan

As Somarco pointed out, anything can be gamed. When I sold cars I watched conversations about where to go to pick up insurance just to get the tags.

...here's the difference

Get caught driving without insurance and in most states you risk jail time. Even with that, nationally about 12% drive without insurance and in some states it's as high as 22%.

If that many people are willing to risk possible jail time or their car getting impounded, you'll never come up with any system to prevent gaming health insurance.

While single-payer is likely worse for agents in the end, it's likely better for the US as a whole than the mess that we have on our hands now.

Uh, do you mean something like Medicare?

How well is that working?

The only thing I like about single payor is that people don't fall through the cracks on being covered.

Like Medicare?

Disabled? Gotta be totally and permanently disabled for 2 years before you can qualify for Medicare.

Oh, and you needed to have 40 quarters of SS wages as well.

Turned 65 and didn't sign up for Medicare Part B? No problem. You will need to sign up before 3/31 and then wait until July before it begins.

Yup, no way for anyone to fall through the cracks there.

Uh, do you mean something like Medicare?

How well is that working?

Like Medicare?

Disabled? Gotta be totally and permanently disabled for 2 years before you can qualify for Medicare.

Oh, and you needed to have 40 quarters of SS wages as well.

Turned 65 and didn't sign up for Medicare Part B? No problem. You will need to sign up before 3/31 and then wait until July before it begins.

Yup, no way for anyone to fall through the cracks there.

Health Agents what is it called when they list the percentage of a carriers claims that are denied? Doesn't "Medicare" have a higher denial rate than private carriers....Could have sworn I saw that somewhere.

It's also easier to fiscally pay for single-payer than the mess we have now.
What? Please tell me you were being facetious...please. The model for "single-payor" is Medicare. It is broke and unsustainable (if you haven't heard). Doing MORE of the same is going to make it "easier to fiscally pay"? Ever hear of the definition of insanity?

Back