Obamacare May Be Making Health Savings Accounts More Popular

What type of Health Insurance Plan do you have?

• Traditional Copay

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Health Savings Account

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • None

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Please tell me how to adjust my income to get a "nice silver plan".
Sman,
Simply said, some self employed people have more flexibility in regards to how much income they report.

Since your income is so high, you probably don't have much flexibility. For a person who run a garage and reports $20,000 one year, it's easier for them to show $17,000 the next. For a family of two it drops them into the 100-150% FPL which maximizes their CSR.

Sman,
Simply said, some self employed people have more flexibility in regards to how much income they report.

Since your income is so high, you probably don't have much flexibility. For a person who run a garage and reports $20,000 one year, it's easier for them to show $17,000 the next. For a family of two it drops them into the 100-150% FPL which maximizes their CSR.

I'd hate to be self-employed and only making $20k. IMO, at that income level it would be better to work a 9-5 and not have any of the headaches of owning a business.

I'd hate to be self-employed and only making $20k. IMO, at that income level it would be better to work a 9-5 and not have any of the headaches of owning a business.

Could not disagree more. I'd work for nothing before I went back to the mind-numbing world of the employed... so long as I could afford to do so.

Could not disagree more. I'd work for nothing before I went back to the mind-numbing world of the employed... so long as I could afford to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine working for someone ever again. I've been independent since 1998. But the idea of putting in 10-12 hours per day, paying the bills that go with being self-employed along with the additional work to bring in new customers all for $20k per year? No thanks.

Much less stress in a 9-5 assuming the same income.

Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine working for someone ever again. I've been independent since 1998. But the idea of putting in 10-12 hours per day, paying the bills that go with being self-employed along with the additional work to bring in new customers all for $20k per year? No thanks.

Much less stress in a 9-5 assuming the same income.

At $20K a year, all you have to do is say "Do you want fries with that"?

At $20K a year, all you have to do is say "Do you want fries with that"?

Just about. And if my upside is $20k per year then I don't want to deal with all the headache and stress of running a business. But that's just me.

Let me say that's not the entire picture. Some of those clients could do more business if they needed/wanted to, but choose to work when they want to and fish/golf when they want to...lol. I have a fair amount that are semi retired self employed and 60+. They will keep getting the subsidy until ACA implements means testing....

I do have some that are starting out and at this point $20k is what their business is bringing in.

Let me say that's not the entire picture. Some of those clients could do more business if they needed/wanted to, but choose to work when they want to and fish/golf when they want to...lol. I have a fair amount that are semi retired self employed and 60+. They will keep getting the subsidy until ACA implements means testing....

I do have some that are starting out and at this point $20k is what their business is bringing in.

I have a bunch of those. "Paper subsidy" is what I call them. Their MAGI is below the threshold. Mainly because they clip t-bill coupons prior to hitting the golf course.

Latest posts

Back