Other than prospecting/getting clients, what's your biggest struggle as an agent?

Gold right here.

At some point, if you stick with it, prospecting shouldn't be your problem. I'm approaching my capacity. Sometime in 2020 or 2021, I'll virtually stop prospecting. I'll almost have to.

Many agents scale back their prospecting after only a few years. Alack and alas, for me it's been a few decades.

Prospecting is like anything else. You get better at it if get enough quality reps and you pay attention to what works and doesn't.

Right now I'm questioning how much ambition I have left. Should I expand my agency beyond myself, my son and my sister? Should I start something new? Or should I just enjoy my part-time job with a full time income?

But my current struggles probably aren't much use to you at the beginning of your career.

You need to learn your product, sales and other aspects of marketing.

One thing I figured out very late in the game, is the importance of client retention and referral generation. Just sending a thank you card after each sale and making an annual phone call, can make a big difference over the years. (Although it may take a while to actually see the first drops of extra income.)

You need to learn some of the basics of business.

You'll need to learn how to learn. And specifically how you learn.

You need to be self motivated.

That's not a comprehensive list. But I think I hit most of the important stuff.

You may struggle with one or more of the above at different times at different points in your career.

You can get better at any of the above. You'll just need to practice and get guidance from other agents or books.

If you follow the path I did, your first challenge will be prospecting and sales. You'll stay focused on those two and ignore your clients and miss opportunities. Then one day you'll realize that you're losing clients because you neglected them and you'll see the light.

Don't do that. My suggestions are that you focus on prospecting and sales initially. However, simultaneously invest some of your energy on a client retention and referral plan.

The sale is just the start of the relationship. Your client will need insurance for a long time, make sure she gets a lot of it from you. Treat each client like you want them to say great things about you to their parents and children. And many will.

And...

Always be learning.

Or .... buy leads the rest of your life until you are either recruiting or selling leads.

EDIT: OK, someone just text me, I need to add to this. --- Or selling leads to your recruits.

Last edited:
Plus you'll have referred clients referring other clients.

I just got off the phone with the beneficiary and her aunts of a client who died over the weekend. The client was an orphan I AOR's maybe 15 yrs ago. Two of the ladies on the phone call (speaker) are clients that were referred from her. The Bene will now become a client. I expect that I will pick up several policies from this claim. I just checked the DOI website, the original agent is still active.

But the sooner you can focus on tomorrow the better.

Tomorrow is coming..... Ready or not. ( I have used that phrase on sales calls)

A lot of first generation clusters have that one person who speaks English a little better than the rest and is a little more established. Often he or she vets insurance agents, auto repair shops and everything else for his extended family.

Thank you has paid a lot of bills over the years and will continue to do so.

Yup.

Back