Parking lot accident fault?

LINYbob

There was no accident. This is a hypothetical situation that almost happened to me.

This morning I pulled into a mostly empty parking lot. The entrance is in the back right, there is a building in the front. There was a car parked in the front row. I came in from the back right of the parking lot and was in a middle spot, back row, pulling my car forward to park in the front row, next to the one parked car. As I was pulling forward, another car came racing in from the back right and cut right across my right front - between me and the back left of the parked car. I slammed on my brakes so there was no accident. I saw him out the corner of my eye. But if he had hit my right front side would he have been at fault?

The majority of Parking Lot accidents are judged to be 50/50 when both vehicles are moving since they happen on private property, police are not involved, and accidents happen. Many times, even if one vehicle is not moving the outcome is the same; your carrier fixes your car..the other driver's carrier fixes their car. When a vehicle is unoccupied things change if the vehicle doing the hitting leaves information about who to contact. If your vehicle is damaged and there is no note it gets paid as a 'phantom vehicle' and is not held against your claims history
BUT, insurance agents, insurance carriers, claims people..do not like hypotheticals. It either did happen or did not happen

But if he had hit my right front side would he have been at fault?

If this diagram correctly shows what you did then you would be at fault for pulling out in front of him just like you would be if you had been parked in the space and pulled out in front of him or pulled out of a driveway or a side street and got hit by somebody coming at right angles to you.

His speed would be irrelevant because you had the duty to yield.

If the diagram is not correct, then please draw one and upload it.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1
Back