Phone Messages

Why have a mentor if you don't want to take her directions. I am assuming she wouldn't be your mentor if she wasn't successful, this is CONTACT SPORT, and value added contact can not hurt.

If someone doesn't leave a message they do not get a return call. If there is a missed number on caller ID from someone I know, I will usually call them but not for unknown numbers, especially anonymous or toll free calls.

One thing that always bugs me is people who don't answer their phone, it goes to voice mail, I leave a message, then they immediately call back . . . without ever bothering to listen to the voice message.

The conversation usually starts with "Did you call me?".

Of course since they never bother to identify themselves, my response is "I don't know, who is this?".

Their response is "You called me first. Don't you know why you called?".

At that point I see no reason in continuing the conversation and hang up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
calls going to VM is shitty CS

Perhaps some view it that way.

At least with voice mail they get a chance to hear my voice and my greeting and make a determination if I am someone they might want to deal with.

An answering service, particularly one answered by someone that needs subtitles on the bottom of your screen, is not a good way to make a good first impression.

"Hallo, this Kalinda. How may I help you?"

Last edited:
The only way to find out if it is a customer or not is to call them back. A customer may not be that motivated to buy until they realize you have the right solution for them. Also, how do you know it is not a client who needs help with a claim or is at the doctor's office or is a doctor's office calling for a client?

I always call missed calls...

For me it is a matter of courtesy. If it is important enough for you to call, leave a message. Otherwise, I don't care to chase rude people.

Many clients don't want to leave a message. They want to talk to someone direct. Therefore, they won't leave a message.
If someone called you, no matter, they are probably looking for help of some kind. Call them!

Two simple rules to live by:

1. If you have a mentor, follow the mentor's advice.
2. Unless your calendar is already full with qualified prospects, then follow-up with anyone who has expressed any interest, no matter how slight. And someone calling you and not leaving a message is expressing some interest.

If you don't like those rules, then fill your calendar with people you'd like to do business with and you can do whatever you want.

If someone calls me then I know they wish to talk with me (excluding wrong #). So I will call them back. I've picked up biz doing this.

Them not leaving me a voice message doesn't tell me whether or not they wish to talk with me. The voice message just tells me the topic of what they are wanting to discuss.

I'm bad about leaving messages. I don't know when I picked up the habit of not leaving one but I did somewhere, sometime. Maybe it has to do with all the email and text messaging we have going on today, I don't know. I can't be the only person that doesn't leave messages though.
Rude or not, I would call back any of these numbers as long as they were not 800 numbers or something.

Back