Portability of individual BC/BS plans

Generally expensive, sometimes prohibitively. Usually a form of conversion plan may have some benefit restrictions.

BC of Tennessee is standing strong on their statement that inter-plan transfers to be done without evidence defaults to BC GI plans, period, of the state transferring to.

Blue - I've done a couple of inter-plan transfers between CA and TN, both ways, and they have gone relatively smoothly. Good reciprocation between those two Blues (three technically since CA has seperate BC and BS companies).

New - what does the original Blue say about this? Are they going to notify new Blue to request inter-plan transfer? New state Blue does not offer any individual conversion plans?

Dave

Dave,
So are you saying you have been involved with Tennessee BC cases that were transferred to a CA BC non GI plan without evidence of insurability? If so, I"m confused why the Tennessee BC is so adanebt, and trust me I have spoken to several of the supervisors and they are all reading the sane script????? I don't want to mislead my clients, what would you suggest to get the right answer, if you have actually done the transfer?

Dave,
So are you saying you have been involved with Tennessee BC cases that were transferred to a CA BC non GI plan without evidence of insurability? If so, I"m confused why the Tennessee BC is so adanebt, and trust me I have spoken to several of the supervisors and they are all reading the sane script????? I don't want to mislead my clients, what would you suggest to get the right answer, if you have actually done the transfer?

Sorry if I was not clear, the inter-plan transfers have all been to GI plans - usually these are the same or similar to the GI individual conversion plans they offer people coming off of group/COBRA. Coming to CA, it goes to either Blue Cross or Blue Shield and they offer GI plans if requested. Same back to Tenn, offer is a GI conversion plan, they may have a special "inter-plan" available.

Dave

That is how I understand it, thanks! So, if a prospect expects to change states in the future, it might be better to go with a PPO that is accepted without having to show insurability!

With BCBS of South Carolina, you are able to move to any other state and maintain your coverage - the only thing that changes is the doctors that you see (as long as they are in the BC and or BS network.) I have been told this by everyone from member services, marketing reps & the president of on of the largest GA's in the state. Several of my clients have moved, filed change of address and had no problems. It might be due to the higher rates that members seem to pay here versus other states.

Marc

Each Blue likely has its own rules regarding residency. Both CA Blues require residence in CA at least 1/2 of each year. If someone changes state of residence permanently, they cannot remain on either CA Blue.

Back