PPO Plans May Have a Hidden Surprise

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
But the doctor was not in her insurance plan’s network of providers, leaving his bill open to negotiation by her insurer. Once back on her feet, Lawson received a letter from the insurer, UnitedHealthcare, advising that Rabinowitz would be paid $5,449.27 — a small fraction of what he had billed the insurance company. That left Lawson with a bill of more than $100,000.

The answer is a little-known data analytics firm called MultiPlan. It works with UnitedHealthcare, Cigna, Aetna and other big insurers to decide how much out-of-network medical providers should be paid. It promises to help contain costs using fair and independent analysis.

But a New York Times investigation, based on interviews and confidential documents, shows that MultiPlan and the insurance companies have a large and mostly hidden financial incentive to cut those reimbursements as much as possible, even if it means saddling patients with large bills. The formula for MultiPlan and the insurance companies is simple: The smaller the reimbursement, the larger their fee.

Legislation (No Surprise Act) that took effect in 2022 now protects patients from certain kinds of surprise bills but does not cover a vast majority of the claims directed to MultiPlan.

MultiPlan assured investors shortly before the law’s passage that it was likely to have “limited impact” on the company. In fact, MultiPlan said, 90% of its revenue involved out-of-network claims that wouldn’t be affected.

Multiplan also works with MA plans . . .

Our network is your partner in delivering care to individuals participating in Medicare Advantage and related health plans.

When patients come into my emergency department, they want to know if their rehab stays are covered for their MA plans. I tell them there are approximately 4000+ MA plans nationwide and you want me to explain to you your personal benefits?
My wife had a knee surgery. She asked 13 people (took names down) with similar roles in benefits and was told conflicting answers right up to the day she signed in for the surgery.
Multiplan just muddied the water some more in this scenario.
Sometimes you just have to get the surgery done and don't care about your credit score or filing for bankruptcy.

Multiplan just muddied the water some more in this scenario.
Sometimes you just have to get the surgery done and don't care about your credit score or filing for bankruptcy.

Multiplan has been around for years. I encountered them in the SF EGH market 30+ years ago when carrier MCO agreements were spotty at best.

At that time they served a purpose that was beneficial to the insured (and uninsured) but it seems the waters are more muddied than before.

This is a real mess for folks who have managed care plans.

More Multiplan dirt . . .

MultiPlan works with insurers to cut reimbursements to out-of-network providers, often leaving patients with large medical bills, according to a New York Timesopens in a new tab or window investigation.

MultiPlan frequently recommended that employers pay much less than what providers billed, and that was presented as a savings to the employer, the investigation found. However, those lower payments were accompanied by processing fees paid by the employer to the insurers and MultiPlan, which sometimes "far exceeded the amount paid to providers who treated the patient," the Times reported.

MultiPlan has reportedly worked with more than 100,000 health plans covering more than 60 million people, generating almost all of its revenue from those "savings"-based fees. MultiPlan and insurers claim they are fighting "rampant overbilling" by doctors and hospitals, the article stated.

In response to the Times' investigation, the American Hospital Association (AHA) called on the U.S. Department of Labor to "immediately open an investigation" into these "unconscionable practices."

Back