Preferred Pharmacy List

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Is there a "master list" of preferred pharmacy's for each PDP carrier or do you just make your own list?

Not intentionally.

Seeing a big difference in Rx pricing depending on the pharmacy. Ran report for a client and Walgreen's was almost $1500 less for the year vs CVS ($800 vs $2200)

Not intentionally.

Seeing a big difference in Rx pricing depending on the pharmacy. Ran report for a client and Walgreen's was almost $1500 less for the year vs CVS ($800 vs $2200)

There's not a list.

Its more that every year has a winner. Walgreens cut deals with Prime(a lot of the Blues) and UHC for O65 (it doesn't seem to affect group). Its obvious that part of those deals include that CVS is OON.

And they kept it from Caremark, because Silverscript still has Walgreens in net.

Its important to check both of them. I'm finding that Prime has a tighter formulary. AARP is undercutting to add membership. Humana is tough on anything without a generic. And Silverscript still seems to be the overall best option without a deductible, Aetna with deductible.

Thanks for the input, Jen. Figured the players change chairs every year. Just happened to plug in Walgreens (something I rarely do but the client said he uses Walgreens and CVS) and was blown away by the price differential.

Thanks for the input, Jen. Figured the players change chairs every year. Just happened to plug in Walgreens (something I rarely do but the client said he uses Walgreens and CVS) and was blown away by the price differential.

With the SilverScript Choice Plan(owned by CVS), besides no deductible there's no Preferred Pharmacy. You can go where you want and it's the same copay.

Not intentionally.

The Canadian pharmacy option you presented me with is another option. I've been hesitant because I am not sure how it will work, but committing to the concept of buying my Bystolic from Canadian sources would allow significant Part D savings by going to the Humana/Walmart plan and using a Walmart pharmacy for the remaining generic items on my list-even with its $400 deductible.

If I include the Bystolic, the $400 ded AARP plan costs less than the $370 ded Aetna plan (but only by around $30).

From the limited perspective which I have, it seems like SilverScript's Formulary may be more restrictive than some others.

Remind me next year...I spend a few hours before 10/15 figuring out what happened and I am more than happy to share.

This year, its going to be important to compare Walgreens every time.

Is there a "master list" of preferred pharmacy's for each PDP carrier or do you just make your own list?

I asked the same question at every AEP meeting I attended this year. So far, all but one suggested that I go to their website and do a radius search. The last one hasn't gotten back to me with their list.

One of the carriers moved CVS to their preferred list and Walgreens off their preferred list.

Back