• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Project 200 Question

I wanted a name of a successful producer... not usernames on the forum. I'm not saying they're not successful. But they are anonymous here on the forum... (just like me).

Perhaps names like:
- Ben Feldman
- Joe Gandolfo
- John Savage
- Mehdi (whatever his last name is)
- Marvin Feldman

Give a name who said that warm market... if approached with power, authority and influence (not 'begging') would NOT be a good place to start.

My suggestion? Find the presentation in the MDRT archives and the name of the presenter.

Several of the people on that thread are not anonymous and appear to be successful. I don't really want to argue this as I am about to leave town for the weekend. I will say however, that I know of plenty of people (online and offline) that have told me they find it extremely awkward when their friends approach them about business.

Again, I don't think there is anything wrong with my warm market knowing what I do for a living (linkedin, facebook, etc). But it is my opinion, and that of several others, that contacting them is a unnecessary way to go about being successful.

Ok, you get the last word....

Everybody have a great holiday weekend!

So will people admit it is a lot easier if you have no issues approaching your natural market?

Granted, my business is different to a degree... we do insurance to fill in the plan, and it is a part of the big picture like investments. For many people here, who primarily sell product, then yes, you can come off being needy.

Since 2005, working with new advisors, I have not had one survive in the business, who did not ask their natural market.

If you are pitching Medicare supplement or final expense to your natural market... ok, I get it... but if you are helping people with good solutions why be afraid?

Here is a secret... the only one that has an issue with approaching natural markets is yourself, the new advisor. The only way you will ruin a relationship is if you call your friends 5 times a day, and try to get over the whole 5 no's to get to a yes. That ruins a relationship, you know... how you treat cold calls. =)

If you treat people with respect, there is no reason to feel bad/awkward about approaching those you care about.

Ie... believing in what you sell....

How many of the new advisors/brokers/insurance agents make the first sale to themselves?

I've been successful over 15 years and I've never sold friends or family. I have sold my old school teachers, some old co-workers, my doctor, etc. but most of them called me or responded to my marketing.

Working a friend and family list doesn't HAVE to be negative. If I found a place to buy gas for $1.50 per gallon I wouldn't have any problem calling my friends and family and offering to show them. Same with insurance. If I can help them, no problem offering.

The problem is if you keep pushing the appointment past offering. You wear out your welcome real quick with friends and family. You would with me. No means no if you don't want our relationship to change real quick.

There is nothing wrong with asking. In fact how will we feel if a close friend or family member dies without coverage and we never asked? However, there is a difference in asking and being a pest.

For me, it's "once and done". Either they're open-minded or not. I won't beg, nor will I pester. But I wouldn't feel right without at least offering to show the work I do.

For me, it's "once and done". Either they're open-minded or not. I won't beg, nor will I pester. But I wouldn't feel right without at least offering to show the work I do.

I think that is a proper approach. Even if family or friends don't do business with you do not forget that can be a prime source of referrals.

Many years ago I applied to Prudential and washed-out of the application process because I told the interviewer that I would not use my family and friends in this manner. Here it is, almost 3 decades later and I ran into the same situation with New York Life. This time, though, I was prepared.

I happened to have a roster of over 600 names and addresses and phone numbers that had been screened for DNC. I submitted 200 of these for my P200. Guess what happened?
They wanted to know how I knew these people personally. They wanted names and address and Ph#-s of family, friends and acquaintances. And from that day forward I was asked at every opportunity for my "warm market". Mind you....this was BEFORE my contract was approved...before I had a desk and phone.....before I knew ANYTHING about the products or procedures.

Now... the way I see it. If NYL really wanted me to work for them they would have brought me on board and trained me at their expense--FIRST. As it was I paid for my own exams and licenses. I paid for my own home office set-up. I did my own cold calling. And when I left, the one or two leads I shared with them stayed with THEM.

Excuse me for saying so, but to my way of thinking this whole bit about coming on-board to an Insurance company as a way of developing a career is right up there with Tupperware and Cosmetic Parties.....except that Tupperware gives one helluva lot more support. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Did you expect NYL to pay for you home office setup, I'm sure they offered you a spot in the bullpen and speaking of setup in this business you need a phone and with many companies a computer to run rates that is it.

Did you not realize the contract you signed with a captive company, included the part that THEY owned the client? Really why are you still posting here, your username says glad2bhere but your posts are anything like your name.

This field is clearly NOT for you why not just move on already.

Back