Providing Quotes

ABC

Guru
1000 Post Club
Interesting thing happen yesterday.

I was in a meeting on small group health and the owner wanted to skip the street quotes and go straight to underwriting.

This was a Seasoned owner.

This made me think about changing my sales process. Why screw around with street rates and go straight to underwriting.

Is the street quote for a seasoned company a necessary step?

Thoughts?

Can't speak for your area, but base rates give me an idea of who is in the ballpark, who isn't. Depending on the size group and other factors base rates can vary widely.

I can usually "eyeball" a rate once I have underwriting data and adjust from there. The larger the group, until they get over 100 lives, it becomes a bit more complicated.

Groups of 20 - 80 lives or so have a lot of variance once underwriting is in play.

IL moved to a single state app, so it's just as easy to get the pre-screen underwriting with all four major carriers. Might be the easiest way to go moving forward for me as well and save some time for the owner.

With renewing clients I go straight to pre-screened quotes using AZ's universal health questionnaire that all carriers must accept. With prospects, I tell them the difference between preferred rates and prescreened/underwritten rates and ask them which way they want to go. If they can't decide, I suggest that we look at preferred/street rates while they are gathering the universal questionnaires from their employees.

Back