Psycho Policyholders...Throw them Out?

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
OK had a client who was given completely wrong information through one of my service centers & he was pissed (rightfully so..) He was told his umbrella policy would extend coverage to a property covered by another carrier (or so he says he was told..) & that wasn't the case. There were no losses that occurred & he went about 6 months w/ this potential gap.

He came into my office in clearly a pugnacious mood and I (very politely over the course of 15 minutes) empathized with him, provided solutions to his concern moving forward & couldn't have been more professional. He wasn't concerned w/ solutions moving forward..he wanted compensation for the last few months where his umbrella policy didn't extend coverage to a property. I explained this isn't like cell phone plans etc..insurance is regulated & I can't personally give him money..nor could the company.

As with all bullies his aggression continued to grow when not met w/ immediate aggression back & he began using profanity. This conversation had been going on for about 15 minutes until it became clear this man was a psychopath & only wanted to argue. I assertively explained the conversation was a dead end & that I had done my best to handle his concerns & it's time for him to leave. He proceeded to tell me "I'M NOT LEAVING THIS G*D DAMN OFFICE UNTIL YOU FIX THIS!!!" Again there was nothing to "fix..."

At this point...I had enough. I instantly escalated my own aggression from "quite assertive professional" to fellow man throwing you out of my office. I mildly reciprocated the profanity w/ a promise that he would face physical repercussions if he didn't vacant my office immediately.

In retrospect my only other solution would have been to call the police & walk out of my own office until they came..which I won't be bullied into. I've never experienced this before & I've been doing this for 8 years. Good communicators can talk somebody down & I've done it in the past...but this dude was clearly abnormally aggressive.

Anybody run into this before? How do you guys deal w/ these select few psycho's? :err:

I bet its a tiny account. Always the low value clients that give you the most trouble.

I have dealt with it over the phone but never in person. Client called the office roughly 30x in one day. I told them if they didnt stop calling I would have every caller on my floor non stop call them like they did me.

I haven't had a client like that in years......I guess it is because I stop selling personal lines business people are normally more respectful to you and themselves......years ago I used to smile and tell the customer " let me help you with that" and then go to front door and hold it open and put a big smile and then just stand there without saying a word nuts like that are looking for attention when you ignore them they loose the attitude.

Wow! another blood pressure moment

Curious....Did you advise him to start the search for a new agent?

Wow! another blood pressure moment

Curious....Did you advise him to start the search for a new agent?

Wouldn't you believe this guy leaves a message around 7 this morning apologizing for his behaviors. I won't call back & just let it ride. Might as well keep the business for now. It's only like $2,000 in premium but it's still business.

That being said...even if you're Indy you can't separate yourself from a client right? I asked my rep who said there's no way unless they BOR...but I'm not buying that 100%

Oh there are plenty of ways to get a legal separation;)

Back when policies went direct to the agent, I had an old timer tell me he just threw the renewal in the trash if he wanted them gone. Flagged it for non-pay and the carrier would accept no late pay:D:D Guy had balls

Back