• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Psycho Policyholders...Throw them Out?

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
OK had a client who was given completely wrong information through one of my service centers & he was pissed (rightfully so..) He was told his umbrella policy would extend coverage to a property covered by another carrier (or so he says he was told..) & that wasn't the case. There were no losses that occurred & he went about 6 months w/ this potential gap.

He came into my office in clearly a pugnacious mood and I (very politely over the course of 15 minutes) empathized with him, provided solutions to his concern moving forward & couldn't have been more professional. He wasn't concerned w/ solutions moving forward..he wanted compensation for the last few months where his umbrella policy didn't extend coverage to a property. I explained this isn't like cell phone plans etc..insurance is regulated & I can't personally give him money..nor could the company.

As with all bullies his aggression continued to grow when not met w/ immediate aggression back & he began using profanity. This conversation had been going on for about 15 minutes until it became clear this man was a psychopath & only wanted to argue. I assertively explained the conversation was a dead end & that I had done my best to handle his concerns & it's time for him to leave. He proceeded to tell me "I'M NOT LEAVING THIS G*D DAMN OFFICE UNTIL YOU FIX THIS!!!" Again there was nothing to "fix..."

At this point...I had enough. I instantly escalated my own aggression from "quite assertive professional" to fellow man throwing you out of my office. I mildly reciprocated the profanity w/ a promise that he would face physical repercussions if he didn't vacant my office immediately.

In retrospect my only other solution would have been to call the police & walk out of my own office until they came..which I won't be bullied into. I've never experienced this before & I've been doing this for 8 years. Good communicators can talk somebody down & I've done it in the past...but this dude was clearly abnormally aggressive.

Anybody run into this before? How do you guys deal w/ these select few psycho's? :err:

I bet its a tiny account. Always the low value clients that give you the most trouble.

I have dealt with it over the phone but never in person. Client called the office roughly 30x in one day. I told them if they didnt stop calling I would have every caller on my floor non stop call them like they did me.

I haven't had a client like that in years......I guess it is because I stop selling personal lines business people are normally more respectful to you and themselves......years ago I used to smile and tell the customer " let me help you with that" and then go to front door and hold it open and put a big smile and then just stand there without saying a word nuts like that are looking for attention when you ignore them they loose the attitude.

Wow! another blood pressure moment

Curious....Did you advise him to start the search for a new agent?

Wow! another blood pressure moment

Curious....Did you advise him to start the search for a new agent?

Wouldn't you believe this guy leaves a message around 7 this morning apologizing for his behaviors. I won't call back & just let it ride. Might as well keep the business for now. It's only like $2,000 in premium but it's still business.

That being said...even if you're Indy you can't separate yourself from a client right? I asked my rep who said there's no way unless they BOR...but I'm not buying that 100%

Oh there are plenty of ways to get a legal separation;)

Back when policies went direct to the agent, I had an old timer tell me he just threw the renewal in the trash if he wanted them gone. Flagged it for non-pay and the carrier would accept no late pay:D:D Guy had balls

Back