Racial Profiling

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
There is not a prejudiced bone in my body, but . . . when I get a lead in and the name is Maresh Patel I must admit I don't do a lot of follow up. I do have a few Indian clients but most of the time in dealing with them all I have is frustration and nothing to show for it.

Same goes for Asian names.

Anyone else guilty and willing to admit this?

Bob, I have run into the same thing as well. I can even break it down further to businesses - like liquor and convenience stores. I think it is just cultural differences. I have had the same experiences, a few great clients but the majority of prospects are a waste of energy.

LOL - in the movie "Glengarry Glen Ross" there is a scene where one of the characters gets a "Patel" lead - again! Fantastic movie.

Last edited:
I forgot all about Glengarry Glen Ross. Great movie in a spooky kind of way. I worked for a guy like Alec Baldwin at one time. Total jerk.

I am sure it is a cultural thing. I do have a few "Patel's" and just one Asian client. Most of the time they just created a brain drain with nothing to show for it.

Pretty much the ONLY issues I run into customer service related are the one's brought up in this thread. You tell them what is covered and what isn't, but once they have a claim that isn't 100% paid for they call complaining! The worst part is you can't understand what they are saying and they won't listen to you! Sometimes I just feel like passing on those clients and leads. Their expectations are unrealistic!!

This is just my opinion!

PPL clients are different from health clients. Many minorities, justifiably or not, believe the justice system does not work for them. That perceived need for your product, along with the low $16/month fee, makes it a fairly easy decision for them.

I have many Asian clients, including my favorite Asian client - MY WIFE.

The area we live in Texas ranges between 15% to 35% Asian - including Chinese, Pakistan, Indian primarily. Yes Texas with 15 - 30% Asian! Most are engineers, IT, oil industry - HIGHLY educated workforce. They wouldn't be here if people were not hiring their skill (and paying them lower wages then American counter parts of course).

That being said - they are a harder sell due to communication problems and they believe it should be FREE - because that is how it is in THEIR home country. They see no value in a non tangible item and good luck trying to explain to them the concept of a deductible.

Same could be said of any foreigner , not just Asians.

The only way I found around it - is we have sales reps in English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi (Indian) and Urdu (Pakistan).

Can't beat em' - Join em' - and speak their language.

That being said - they are a harder sell due to communication problems and they believe it should be FREE - because that is how it is in THEIR home country. They see no value in a non tangible item and good luck trying to explain to them the concept of a deductible.

Can't beat em' - Join em' - and speak their language.

I guess I'm going to have to invest in the "Rosetta Stone" language product.

When I was working for Country Ins., there were a handful of agents who did great selling Life Insurance in the Asian community. They seemed to understand and appreciate the value. I think that may have been because of their tight and generational family bond. They knew it would help take care of future needs.

Back