Relatively New Agent Needs Direction

DonLayton

Expert
Oregon
New member here - I've read a lot of the posts on this forum and am impressed enough with some of your knowledge and experience that I wanted to throw this out and see what ideas might come back.

I've been licensed in life and health for about 3 years, recently added my P&C licenses in Oregon. I'm appointed with plenty of carriers in life and health (inactive recently due to a captive agreement) but am having a hard time finding the right fit in P&C.

Right now I'm a captive producer with Farmers but want to sign on with an independent agency willing to pay high a high commission structure and if possible, to allow me to retain my book of business.

Any ideas? How can I best go about doing this. Any help is GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated!!! I really would like specifics and even names of companies that I might contact. I have plenty of business to write and ideas to get more - I just need the right relationship.

Welcome to the boards...here's my take on your situation

I'd doubt that an IA will allow you to "keep" your book of business that you might place through them. A better chance would be that you could earn some vesting or agree on a buyout pricetag in advance.

You've heard this before...A cluster is probably the only option to gain access to preferred, competitive markets on your own. So you give up a piece of the pie...that seems to be the only drawback. All the biz you write belongs to you from day one.

Good luck

That's the kind of feedback I needed. Thank you. If I am being unrealistic in my hope to retain ownership of the book, at least I can negotiate some kind of buyback option.

If anyone else has anything further to add, please let me know.

Thanks again all!

I am a p/c appointment provider located in southern Oklahoma. We set appointments according to your target demographic using SIC codes you request. We will call the Decision Makers on you company's behalf determine if there is a need for your services and if they are renewing within a 120 days and set an appointment at the day and time they have requested we will also instruct them to have their dec pages and payroll ready at the time of the appointment. We also get all of their renewal information such as carriers, renewals dates, employee counts, and e-mail address. All of this information belongs to you and you alone basically we are building your book for you. We do not ask for long term commitments we work on a month to month basis, which forces us to get results that will keep our clients happy. We also handle all of the scheduling conflicts that may arise.

Back