Republicans Have an Obamacare Replacement.

IMO, it's too late for an alternative now.

Anyone care to inform me when the last time an gov't entitlement program was stopped AFTER people received money from the government?

Amen! It is what it is. Once a benefit is given, it is nearly impossible to take it away, that holds true in the private market as well. As long as taxes are payroll deducted, the money isn't real. The only way to TRUE reform is to force everybody to write a personal check for their taxes, and we all know that's not ever going to happen.

I completely disagree. How many states now allow gay marriage? That is true reform. Colorado has legalized recreational marijuana. Even liberals don't believe we are stuck with Obamacare forever; they want to repeal it and institute single payer. There will be reform, which way it goes remains to be seen. If enough pain is felt, I believe the GOP proposal has as good a chance as Medicare for all if not better.

I completely disagree. How many states now allow gay marriage? That is true reform. Colorado has legalized recreational marijuana. Even liberals don't believe we are stuck with Obamacare forever; they want to repeal it and institute single payer. There will be reform, which way it goes remains to be seen. If enough pain is felt, I believe the GOP proposal has as good a chance as Medicare for all if not better.

So, what did gay marriage and legalized pot take away? They seemed to have allowed something previously forbidden versus taking away something previously allowed.

See how well efforts to reban gay marriage or re-criminalized pot go then tell me about efforts to take away something from the people.

Some of the people I'm writing probably won't make 100% FPL in 2014 (Don't qualify for Medicaid in TX). Do you seriously think they will take away their insurance and subsidy from them after this year? It is possible I suppose but really unlikely, even the Pubs can't be that harsh. I just don't see that happening. People will pitch a fit the news media will run with it and the Pubs would have to go on record of being the mean ole' Grinch.

Last edited:
So, what did gay marriage and legalized pot take away? They seemed to have allowed something previously forbidden versus taking away something previously allowed.

See how well efforts to reban gay marriage or re-criminalized pot go then tell me about efforts to take away something from the people.

That isn't the point. It is reforming what once was. Reform isn't a one way street.

Just because something has never happened doesn't mean it won't. How many real efforts have there been to repeal and replace existing programs? Has there been a serious attempt to replace Social Security? Medicare? WIC? Just because these things have never happened doesn't mean the voters won't demand it over the next two years.

Will it happen? No one (including you) can say for sure. Is it out of the question, is it possible? Most certainly regardless of how opposed to it you are.

You may be all for Obamacare and want to paint those that oppose it and want to replace it as crazy, but I think the polls this coming November will disagree with you.

That isn't the point. It is reforming what once was. Reform isn't a one way street.

Just because something has never happened doesn't mean it won't. How many real efforts have there been to repeal and replace existing programs? Has there been a serious attempt to replace Social Security? Medicare? WIC? Just because these things have never happened doesn't mean the voters won't demand it over the next two years.

Will it happen? No one (including you) can say for sure. Is it out of the question, is it possible? Most certainly regardless of how opposed to it you are.

You may be all for Obamacare and want to paint those that oppose it and want to replace it as crazy, but I think the polls this coming November will disagree with you.

I'm no fan of Obamacare, although I have used it to my advantage.

I wasn't alive when SS, Medicare, Medicaid, WIC, etc. were implemented so I have no idea if there was a serious effort to repeal them at that time.

I do know, our government has never repealed an entitlement program. I can wish the Republicans all the luck in the world in being the first, that doesn't mean I expect them to be successful.

But to give you an example that proves my point. Defense spending. Much of our defense spending is simply pork barrel politics. Defense contractors make sure to spread out their facilities so that they are in numerous districts. The Democrats have wanted to cut defense spending for decades. And defense spending keeps trucking along. In fact, the same Democrats come to its defense if the cuts hit too close to home.

It is so bad, they had to form a bipartisan committee to recommend bases for closure and they had to require the recommendations be given an up or down vote with no amendments.

It is very easy for Congress to give, it is very difficult for them to take away.

Some of the people I'm writing probably won't make 100% FPL in 2014 (Don't qualify for Medicaid in TX). Do you seriously think they will take away their insurance and subsidy from them after this year? It is possible I suppose but really unlikely, even the Pubs can't be that harsh. I just don't see that happening. People will pitch a fit the news media will run with it and the Pubs would have to go on record of being the mean ole' Grinch.

Read the proposal. There are tax subsidies to assist premium payment in the proposal, some of which are richer than what is currently offered under Obamacare when comparing per the KFF calculator.

Read the proposal. There are tax subsidies to assist premium payment in the proposal, some of which are richer than what is currently offered under Obamacare when comparing per the KFF calculator.

I wasn't talking about their proposal. I'm talking about what we have now.

Your post insinuated that the proposal would take away subsidies. If that wasn't your intent, then what was the point of that post?

The point of my post is that when people have something it is a political mine field trying to take it away.

Back