Rogue Underwriter / How to Handle

underwriters today suffer from tunnel vision.. and cannot or will not think outside the box.

It can be frustrating at times.. I agree.

I started my career as an underwriter and what it has become is very sad.

Again I am left to ask, why are you looking to create an unnecessary enemy?

Not just this particular underwriter, but your marketing rep and the head of underwriting as well?

I'm all for fighting for your client, I do it too. But I'm well aware of the old saying, "You get more flies with honey than vinegar." A simple call to your marketing rep or the head of underwriting would have solved this. You can bet they got notified of your threat and look at you differently now. And it isn't in a positive light.

At this point, I would seriously consider sending an email to all involved. I would thank them resolving the situation and probably say something to the effect, "You are right, I should have followed procedure and given others inside the company a chance to rectify the situation before considering going to the DOI."

I want my underwriters to fight for me, not against me.

I agree. You might run into this underwriter in the future. Maybe they were having a bad day. Either way, this situation could have been resolved in a more professional manner.

I'll throw my 2 cents in. Keep in mind UWs have to put up with many agents bending as many rules as possible, some even flat out lying. Keep in mind, they have a job just as we do. There are parts of ours they don't comprehend and parts of theirs we agents don't comprehend.

Plus, what's the old saying. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I've found that treating the UW with respect and kindness goes a long way, especially when they are in the wrong and flaunting their UW power.

Didn't see Soaring's post on the same saying :) my bad.

^ You're right & I will do that..

This is an underwriting driven company. The marketing rep will openly admit there's nothing he can do w/ underwriting & they make it pretty clear that their underwriter's have the final say. But again (and I partially knew this going into it..) that would have been the most political course of action.

This is one area in my career where I need to improve, I have zero tolerance for ignorant fools. I need to stop...and wait before I fire off these emails. These UW's just make it so easy!

Your post absolutely made my night! :D way to often now i feel this way towards underwriters... *yes it was reckless* but congrats to you for standing up to the bs... hope you don't get dropped by that company though!

Your post absolutely made my night! :D way to often now i feel this way towards underwriters... *yes it was reckless* but congrats to you for standing up to the bs... hope you don't get dropped by that company though!

Well they just asked me to sit on their agency council & I know for a fact I'm one of their top producers. The bottom line is they were acting ILLEGALLY and they got called out. They have brand new douche nozzle underwriters fresh out of college & there NEEDS to be a check and balance from the agency force.

I'm at profit sharing after 2 years of writing w/ them. My loss ratio is in the single digits & by all metrics I'm everything they want in an agent.

Little do they realize I'll be pounding beers in the parking lot tailgating prior to the meeting. I'll come running in w/ backround music & start flipping tables while wearing a wrestling singlet.

Well they just asked me to sit on their agency council & I know for a fact I'm one of their top producers. The bottom line is they were acting ILLEGALLY and they got called out. They have brand new douche nozzle underwriters fresh out of college & there NEEDS to be a check and balance from the agency force.

I'm at profit sharing after 2 years of writing w/ them. My loss ratio is in the single digits & by all metrics I'm everything they want in an agent.

Little do they realize I'll be pounding beers in the parking lot tailgating prior to the meeting. I'll come running in w/ backround music & start flipping tables while wearing a wrestling singlet.

Once again killing it! haha :D You ever come up to NY beers on me just so I can hear more of your comedy routine!

I am glad everything worked out in the end...one side note...while I am not in the P/C industry, yet have had major exposure to it...on the "life" side, one thing producers sometimes need to be concerned about -- and most don't know it -- is being careful of "suggesting" or "recommending" or even "mentioning" that a client take certain actions; legal, DOBI, etc.

It can be an issue.

Very good thread and posts here -- thank you.

We've all been there and it is very frustrating. Usually if I have an issue I go to the underwriting supervisor, if that doesn't work I go to the regional VP, then to the P then to home office brass. That is why relationships with all those people is so important. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I can say you better be 100% sure of your case. Nothing is worse then going all the way to the top then figuring out your client was actually lying to you and you were wrong.

Latest posts

Back