Selling Medicare Supplement Insurance

If you want to "be taken care of" with leads and benefits, don't expect to make the real money and don't expect to "own" the book of business. All of that "care" cost you big time. Basically what you'd be doing is building a income stream and client base for someone else and when you finally leave or get ran off... they own it...You better read the contract you're under now. I bet you assigned commissions, right? Now, read the vesting clauses.

We call those lessons tuition to being independent.

Beat me to it. Thread starter, would you mind sharing who you contracted with? I see quite a few indications of being sold on the get-rich-quick MLM model here.

I find it funny that people are willing to make much less money in return for group health.

For instance, my girlfriend. Job A would pay her $5 less per hour than job B but job A includes a group health plan with a $2500 ded. I said, "well take job B of course"! She said, "I don't know, I really need health ins.". Wtf you're 32 years old and in perfect health!! You're missing out on $800 month for an average health plan that cost less than $200/month.

People are just ignorant.

Hmmm, calling your girlfriend ignorant. Hope she doesn't read the forum. :D

Most of us in this country have been conditioned to believe that a full time job must have benefits including health insurance or it isn't a good job.

Also, although it is becoming less so, group plans have historically had better benefits than anything you could get (or at least afford) in the individual market.

One thing that is still an advantage with group plans is maternity coverage.

If you don't own your own health insurance then you will just end up being a slave to "the man." Depending on others for your health insurance is the ultimate enslavement. I feel for folks that don't have a choice.

Unnecessarily depending on an employer for coverage is just ignorant/lazy...

You need to own your future.

Just as a side note if you have ever been in the military check with the VA. Also check with some of the disability guru's about the pros and cons if any about getting a disability policy before you leave your employer.

First and formost as mentioned no matter what anyone tells you read your agent contract. It's easy to get in but maybe not so easy getting out if you want to leave. "Who moved my cheese"?

Generally speaking, the only way to get benefits is to be a W-2 employee. And more and more companies are getting rid of group benefits anyway. I've never worked that market but some small business owners have told me that individual plans are actually cheaper for them and that they've dropped group.

I don't know of any captive operations in Louisiana with W-2 employees, unless it were to be a large agency similar to the one you work at now but which also works the Medicare market. The captive companies that I know of (Mutual of Omaha, Physicians Mutual) have agents that are independent contractors. The only one I'm not sure about is Blue Cross.

The question is, do you want a job or do you want to own your own business?

Last edited:
G Gordon and Celna pretty much laid it out.

If you want to be an independent agent, you are essentially a small business. You get to control your destiny, but you also get to provide your own benefits.

Group health insurance does not always mean good health insurance.

moonlightandmargaritas said:
I hope that's not a commentary on your girlfriend's other choices, as in boyfriend...

When someone doesn't understand something, they are ignorant. It sounds bad to say the word but that's what they are.

Back