Several questions for all

Newby

Guru
5000 Post Club
I'm wondering how everyone here sets up thier business and benefits.

1. Do you work from home? If you work from an office do you own the building or rent it?

2. Do you buy your own health insurance? If yes, who through?

3. Do you have disability insurance?

4. How much do you spend per month on advertising or buying leads?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I'll give you the answers to my own questions first.

1. I work my main business (funeral preplanning) from an office at the funeral home. The rest of my business I run from my home office but I feel that I will need to establish an office to get real credibility with the public and grow (I'd like to hear opinions about that.) I bought a building in a great location a few months ago but it will need heavy remodeling to look good. Plus I have a renter in it and it is cash flowing nicely with no remodeling needed because it's currently a welding shop.

2. Health insurance is currently through wife's employment but I would like to change that. She is a CPA and also just passed her life and health test and would like to go independent.

3. We don't have disability coverage but have been planning to buy it for the last 5-years. Who is a good company to look at?

4. I spend less than $1,000 per month on leads. I'm not sure how to advertise for the non-funeral products yet. I feel that advertising drives them to your location and a home office doesn't cut it. Am I completely off base on this?

1. Do you work from home? If you work from an office do you own the building or rent it?

I have a home office and a physical office about 25 minutes away. I'm in the actual office 75% of the time!

I buy my own health insurance, I use a high deductible plan for me and my wife, and a more benefit rich plan for my 15 month old daughter. Both through Humana.

Yes I should be addressing this, just haven't yet!

I don't spend anything right now, referrals, my own generated internet leads as well as working old leads are keeping me busy enough.

I work in an office and do not own it.

Yes. HSA through Blue Cross.

Yes. Short Term and Long Term

Varies. $1000-$1500.

I work from home but would like to be in an office within the next year or so. Home is nice... but too many distractions!

Yes I do - In Michigan we have a plan available through Blue Cross for people ages 19-30. It's $48/month, $1000 DED. Gotta love that monthly premium! My wife on the other hand is forced to purchase a Blue Cross plan from the Medical School she is attending. She pays $250/month.... yikes. (She's 28 and very healthy) Looking forward to next year when she will not have to do that any more!

No

It varies. Right now, not much. I'm doing most of my lead generation myself. The last couple of months though I was spending between $1200-1600 or so.

I work from an office about 20 minutes from my home. I do have a home office set up and I use it about 3-5 days a month. We lease the space, and do not own the building.

I am covered on my wife's plan through the county school system. Money can't buy a better plan and they pay 90% of the family premium.

Yes, through Guardian.

It varies. I have spent as much as 5k a month and as little as $300 depending on the month.

Thanks guys for the replies so far.

It looks like most of us are wanting to get an office going but haven't yet. Most procrastinate about buying disability insurance (just like me) and most arespending about the same amount on leads.

Follow-up questions. How much would you be comfortable budgeting for monthly office expenses (or currently spend if you already have one?)

2. Do you think if you doubled or tripled what you spend on advertising or leads for the next 3-months, would sales go way up? Would it more than pay for itself?

I'm in for $1,000 a month rent. That's my average commish for one deal so my mentality is that by having an office if I get one extra deal per month out of it I'm even. I think I'll probably get 3 extra deals per week out of having an office.

And right now I'm right in the middle of getting my leads up to 30 a day.

I work from home.

Yes, a Next Generation HSA through American Community.

No.

$0 if possible. I rely on referrals, joining community projects to gain exposure, and contacting area small business owners directly.

I do now. Spent 20 years paying rent for an office. Kids moved onto college, technology improved, rents got crazy. Usually only had one or two clients come by the office in the pastduring the year. Square foot costs can eat up your business. If I had owned the building(s) I would have kept an outside office and sublet.

Yes, through the local blue cross provider. I'm my own agent too. Family is on wife's employer's plan. I would cost about double on hers.

Yes, both individual and overhead expense. I've used OH expense DI in the past when out with a slipped disk. Some of the best insurance to own, also some of the hardest to get. If you can get some, do so and buy increase options.

Since I moved my office home, I have more money for leads and spend roughly $500 a month. Advertising is a bit sticky. I am securities licensed and as much as I want to advertise and do it properly and legally, it is such a hassle to work through a compliance officer that it kills any desire to make it work. I've wasted weeks going back and forth with that guy for the most nosensical crap issues. Most not even real SEC/NASD issues. But you've got to kiss his ass, as dumb as it is, for approval. It kills incentive.

Back