SIAA or Smart Choice.... recent changes

Shawn, I spoke to one of these companies that once you find the company you want to offer coverage with, the company will not allow me to bind the policy without it being reviewed by their underwriters, by then the sale would be dead. I should be able to offer the coverage, ask the appropriate underwriting questions, get the final rate and bind the policy with payment. This companies seem unrealistic to do business with so I wanted to ask if this was going to present a hurdle for me. From your reply it sounds like that is certainly not the way PGI does business with the agents that work within their system.

Before you sign anything, read every single word of the contract - the gotcha is in the details.

That being said, I came from a captive position with the ability to quote and bind on the spot so I was not willing to entertain anything less.

Research some of your local independent agencies. You may find one with all the carriers you need; one that you can work out a profitable arrangement with.

Without a carrier appointment, you will not be able to do that. Some of the marketers do not provide that, or do not provide that without a cost. For me, the cost was not worth it.

I found a local mga and signed on with them for a couple of carriers to take care of my p&c business. If I have to submit information to someone else and wait for a response, forget it. That doesn't work in my area. People want immediate gratification. If they don't get it from me, they'll call the next guy and get it.

marindependent, This is the first I have heard of them. Are you involved with them or do you know anyone that is. I would love to know what kind of split and support systems they have in place. Also do you know if they have a large upfront fee like some of the other companies? Your input is really valued because I really need to make a decision soon.

I am a true independent agency - brokerage and have no affiliation with them, Other than the fact that I am signed up with them. They "happen" to be based near where I live near San Francisco and therefore I have met them. PM your info and i can help you further.

The upfront fees are extremely minimal and contract is the best that I have seen.

Would anyone be able to provide a copy of their contract with Smart Choice? I'm interested, but don't want to reach out without some idea of the wording.

Back