SoCal - I want to sell P&C, who should I team up with?

Hi,

I am starting to telemarket life insurance to a "niche" professional market of small business owners through-out California but would also like to offer a personal Auto and a BOP quote (why not, I have them on the phone?)

I looked into SmartChoice, and it might have worked for me as:

• I do not need to bind asap (I'm calling them to switch),
  • The 70% split (1st year and renew) seemed more then fair.
  • I do not want to do a lot of the servicing
  • They have support available
  • No upfront fees
BUT - Their carrier selection for Southern California Auto is terrible (almost non-existent) and I would have to pay monthly for the quoting software.

Any suggestion??

I am also willing to work with an independent local agency but can't seem to find anyone.

THANKS!

( I am licensed in California for P&C, Life, Health - but have been focusing previously on medicare)

(why not, I have them on the phone?)
Because a Jack of All Trades is a Master of None. By trying to offer everything you likely wont be offering them anything. I can sort of see how telemarketing to a niche professional market leads to selling BOPs - but not personal auto.

Frankly one could do a lot of damage with Hiscox and USLI alone in this space, state and profession dependent.

Focus on one/two thing and find someone to refer this other stuff to that can refer back to you. That is my two cents.

(why not, I have them on the phone?)

You'll generally see when an organization cross markets more than one insurance product - it doesn't go well.

When I started out, I sold everything I could - 4 products plus a side business. Now, 10 years later - I sell only 1, and refer out everything else.

But hey, what do I know. I'm only a successful 10 year veteran.

I would not recommend Smart Choice and particularly Smart Start. Too restrictive, too many rules, poor service from Greensboro office, not-so-good contract. Additionally, YOU will be doing the servicing of your accounts unless the customer calls the company. SC has never done any servicing of my accounts.

Latest posts

Back