SPAM/ email marketing questions

I use constant contact for clients and non-clients. Simple. The non-clients get followup emails and clients get newsletters. The way I see it, I paid for these leads and I will contact them as often as I see fit. There is an opt-out button and they can take themselves off the list. I didn't ask for health insurance, they did.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to the ethically challenged folks in this thread but SPAMMERS are douche bags. You creeps mean to tell me that just because you paid for a lead that gives you the god given right to torture and harass the guy to infinity? You are not insurance agents anymore if you ever were you are scam artists.......two bit con artists giving decent insurance agents a bad name. It really comes as no surprise to me that alot of scum bag insurance agents think its cool to spam people to death and even exchange spamming techniques on an internet forum. Spammers have ruined email. Email could of been a great idea had it not been for spammers wrecking it. You creeps dont care as long as y ou can get in on the scam huh?:1frown:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to the ethically challenged folks in this thread but SPAMMERS are douche bags. You creeps mean to tell me that just because you paid for a lead that gives you the god given right to torture and harass the guy to infinity? You are not insurance agents anymore if you ever were you are scam artists.......two bit con artists giving decent insurance agents a bad name. It really comes as no surprise to me that alot of scum bag insurance agents think its cool to spam people to death and even exchange spamming techniques on an internet forum. Spammers have ruined email. Email could of been a great idea had it not been for spammers wrecking it. You creeps dont care as long as y ou can get in on the scam huh?:1frown:

IMO, they requested contact, if they tell you to not contact, you don't. That's pretty simple. Soon as someone tells me anything the drip emails stop. If they'd tell me what time to call, or not to call, or they weren't interested, or don't email, 1 time, emails stop. I'm not contacting a random list, these are people that requested to be contacted. I am filling their request. If you requested me to punch you in the mouth and I did, I didn't just assault you, I filled your request.

Attempting to contact someone that requested say life insurance 1 time then never doing it again, then having someone die before anyone ever got them on the phone to buy something their family needed is more important to me than a little inconvenient spam mail. They can turn it off with 1 click. Don't even have to talk to me, just click the opt-out.

I guess what I should be doing is calling 1 time, leave 1 message, send 1 email, and pray they don't ignore it then wait on more leads to come in. Let my contact ratio fall to around 10%, and let my cost for leads go up by 60% as a result. Go ahead and figure my sales are gonna be about 15% of 10% of gross leads purchased, rather than 15% of 70%. That would increase my advertising cost per sale on leads from $66 to $466. Heaven forbid I inconvenience them with 4 extra emails over one week. You do realise my "spam" is comprised of about 10 emails and 5 phone calls over the course of a year, right? My yearly drip marketing involves an email on 1.3% of the days of the year.

Thank you for calling me ethically challenged, a torturer, dousche bag, scum bag, and con artist. You're obviously a reasonable human being, and your well reasoned, thought out comments will be taken to heart. I believe Yoda is right. You all should listen to him.

I should probably also stop mailing my customers a birthday card and a christmas card. They probably get sick of the junk mail in their mailbox.

Last edited:

Yoda, please tell us how you really feel about this!

I'm curious to hear your thoughts since I've read conflicting info regarding SPAM?

Am I right to say that if a person/company didn't opt-in to receive an email from me, then my email would be considered SPAM? This is the law, correct?

If you buy leads, these are considered safe since they've opted-in somewhere (supposedly)??

Do each of you email only existing customers, leads, etc - in other words only those that have in fact opted in?

Thanks!
I just use a normal emailing system for existing customers. Some big companies uses a bulk tool email system which is kinda bombarding a lot of people.

Back