• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

State by State Guarantee Issue Rights

LewB

Expert
One of my clients is moving from Colorado to Minnesota. I have been thinking about applying for a non-residence license so I can maintain my client. I know that I can go to the NIPR site to apply for a non resident license but I am having trouble finding the Medicare Supplement guarantee issue rights for Minnesota.

All the Med.gov site says is that a person has guarantee issue rights but offers no explanation. I followed the links to the state insurance department and also to SHIP but could not find any explanation of guarantee issue rights.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get a specific state guarantee issue rights?

Thanks,

Lew

One of my clients is moving from Colorado to Minnesota. I have been thinking about applying for a non-residence license so I can maintain my client. I know that I can go to the NIPR site to apply for a non resident license but I am having trouble finding the Medicare Supplement guarantee issue rights for Minnesota.

All the Med.gov site says is that a person has guarantee issue rights but offers no explanation. I followed the links to the state insurance department and also to SHIP but could not find any explanation of guarantee issue rights.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get a specific state guarantee issue rights?

Thanks,

Lew

It's Monday and maybe I'm missing something...why would they get GI.:err:

It's Monday and maybe I'm missing something...why would they get GI.:err:

Most likely he's talking MA plans and moving out of the service area. If so, they would have an SEP.

If he is talking med sups then there is nothing to change unless the client wants to. Doubtful it's GI unless Mn has a rule on it. And they may have?

Most likely he's talking MA plans and moving out of the service area. If so, they would have an SEP.

If he is talking med sups then there is nothing to change unless the client wants to. Doubtful it's GI unless Mn has a rule on it. And they may have?

He mentioned Med Supps, which is what confused me.

"I am having trouble finding the Medicare Supplement guarantee issue rights for Minnesota."

He mentioned Med Supps, which is what confused me.

"I am having trouble finding the Medicare Supplement guarantee issue rights for Minnesota."

People call MA plans sups all the time. But to answer the question, the Mn DOI would be the ones with the GI rules answer.

I am talking about Med Supps and I do know the difference. On the Med.gov page it states:

If you live in Minnesota, you have guaranteed issue rights to buy a Medigap policy, but the policies are different.

I know some states like California have the birthday rule. I am just trying to find out the guarantee issue rights for Minnesota.

Isn't MN a different beast when it comes to med supps? I had a client moving there and I told them I would look up premiums for them. There wasn't even the regular standardized plans!

I am talking about Med Supps and I do know the difference. On the Med.gov page it states:

If you live in Minnesota, you have guaranteed issue rights to buy a Medigap policy, but the policies are different.

I know some states like California have the birthday rule. I am just trying to find out the guarantee issue rights for Minnesota.

Then you need to contact the Mn DOI.

Why do you think your client needs to change the sup? Or do they just want to?

----------

Isn't MN a different beast when it comes to med supps? I had a client moving there and I told them I would look up premiums for them. There wasn't even the regular standardized plans!

Yes, Mn is one of the states that goes by different rules. But since those rules are state specific, that's who needs to be involved.

Back