Study: Health (Affordable Care Act) Overhaul to Raise Claims Cost 32 Pct

I'm on a Medicare plan, and frankly, don't see how the hell they can do them. When I hit 65 it was like Healthcare Christmas. Thanks to all!

Now that's funny I don't care who you are, but really spot on. I hit 65 next year and can't wait for Healthcare premium satisfaction, sweet.

I had a conversation about Obamacare prior to it passing and a friend (fellow agent) made an excellent point.

The major carriers would not be too concerned if there was a one payer system in place. There is no way the government could handle all the business, and TPA's (third party administrators) would be needed...read that the current carriers. In fact, my friend was on the thought that it may be possible that they would be even more profitable this way (no claims to pay out).

So, let the premiums go sky high, dump everyone into the government plan and then just become a government contracted TPA. They may be on to something here...

The TPA/ASO business model is very much in play as this moves forward. And yes, carriers can be profitable under this type of arrangement.

Many have also branched out into claim information services and other support roles. A few have invested in ACO's in hopes of capitalizing on that move.

The basic risk assumption model doesn't work when the govt eliminates risk assessment, dictates your loss ratio's and sets an arbitrary cap on how much you can charge.

It took over fifty years for Medicare to really blow up. Thats what is happening now, people realize it isnt sustainable or affordable. But 50 plus years was a pretty good run.

It seems obamacare, the big part starting in jan., will blow up in the first five years.

Medicare and SS were taken down piecemeal. When Congress critters noticed there were "excess funds" they started looking for ways to buy votes by adding more benefits.

Of course they never counted on funding any of the improvements.

Medicare was crumbling in the late 80's, if not before.

Back