• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Surety Bond

alicia

Expert
Can someone please explain when you need a surety bond? If you are independent and using an FMO, do you need one? I think the answer is yes but I just want to clarify.

Does anyone know of a reputable place to get one?

Thanks for your help.

I'm still trying to get clarification on getting a surety bond. I found the below on the IL website.
"Is a surety bond required?

Yes. If you do not have a direct contract with the insurer you are required to maintain a bond in the amount of $2,500 or 5% of the premiums brokered in the previous calendar year, whichever is greater, but not to exceed $50,000 total aggregate liability. Non-residents are no longer required to maintain a surety bond."

So, what is a direct contract? Does that mean a captive assignment such as State Farm, Allstate, etc. If I am independent and have direct contracts with the insurers, Mutual of Omaha, Forethought, etc, do I need to get a surety bond?

When wouldn't you have a direct contract with an insurer?

Can anyone clarify? Are these silly questions? :1confused:

I would be happy to quote a surety bond for anyone here that is seeking one. I can quote them in 40 states.

You need Errors & Omissions insurance, you need a Surety Bond for owning a agency, but apparently not in CA according to the DOI and a few companies I've talked too.

Back