Terminated by State Farm and Vested Commissions

RDCM73

Thank you for your help! A friend of mine who had a State Farm agency for 30+ years was terminated for cause. Because it is for cause, does this mean he gets none of his vested commissions? His accounts have already been reassigned. The contract doesn’t specify what happens if Agent fired for cause. Appreciated!

Thank you for your help! A friend of mine who had a State Farm agency for 30+ years was terminated for cause. Because it is for cause, does this mean he gets none of his vested commissions? His accounts have already been reassigned. The contract doesn’t specify what happens if Agent fired for cause. Appreciated!

I would think his contract would specify these things. You mentioned "The contract doesn’t specify what happens if Agent fired for cause." That doesn't sound right. I honestly have a hard time believing that.

Simply says “Termination” - agree, odd. Governed by the laws of Illinois so perhaps it’s stipulated there …

I’ve never heard anyone get renewals if terminated for cause . Why was he termed for cause after 30 yrs ?

Not 100% sure he owned an agency, I know renewals were down and there had been customer complaints…

Not 100% sure he owned an agency, I know renewals were down and there had been customer complaints…

You should probably get organized on the facts, then come back to us. Did he own an agency, did he have a contract, what did it say, etc. That right there is probably going to answer all your questions. Right now we are just feeling around in the dark.

Yes… he owned the Agency. His contract AA97 - effective March 1, 1997. Thank you!

Thank you. I have the complete contract - it does not address “termination for cause” anywhere - it is possible that all employment contacts are null + void if termed for cause in the state of Illinois… in all other contracts I’ve seen, ie my own, there is a specific clause if terminated for cause.

Thank you. I have the complete contract - it does not address “termination for cause” anywhere - it is possible that all employment contacts are null + void if termed for cause in the state of Illinois… in all other contracts I’ve seen, ie my own, there is a specific clause if terminated for cause.

I am guessing then the answer applies to any and all reasons for termination of the contract. This probably needs to be addressed by an attorney.

Back