• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Terrified of Cold Calling!

Moshka

Hi there. I'm new to the insurance business, well not exactly new. I just got my license last August, but before that I have always helped out my wife who has been in insurance for quite some time. Let me tell you honestly that I am terrified of cold calling. I find that people can be very rude and closedminded that I often find myself disgusted at the way they act.

I've talked to my wife about it and she has had some tips to offer, including not taking it personally and not being shy. She also says not to think about it too much because it shows in your voice. It would help too if you have a script. And most importantly, move on with your life. If a call ends badly, then pick up the pieces and move on. Don't brood over it.

I was wondering if you guys, especially those who are quite shy like I am, have any more tips on how to get over this. I know a lot of people but I also know that you just can't rely on friends and acquaintances to make a sale.

Help!:swoon:

I would advise you check out salespractice.com, it's a forum devoted to everything sales related.

Also, I've found that many guys who are shy, simply have low self esteem, this won't be true for everyone, but it's true enough.

Read some Brian Tracy, Zig Ziglar, get on a daily mailing list for motivational quotes and that will be a good start you to get motivated.

Also, think about it like this:

As a guy, if you're in a bar and see some hot girl you'd like to buy a drink, are you gonna sit back and do nothing out of a fear of rejection? You'll never get far in life that way.

Everyone fears rejection a little bit, simply part of our nature. But if it takes 3 hours of cold calling a day, to write one $500 commish deal, don't you think it would be worth it?

I know my posts don't reflect it, but I've been scared to cold-call too.

Some things that have helped me:

1) Know how to position what you do as a question and then simply ask your intended prospect that question.

"Are you working with a business life insurance agent to help you protect your business for your family?"

If you work with business owners, modify the question for the "gatekeeper".

"Do you know if your business is protected in the event of the death or disability of a business owner?"

I'm okay getting "no" from anybody once they "KNOW" what it is that I do. Also, if you can't put what you do and who you do it for into a single question... then you don't know your offer well enough.

2) Do you then offer a low-risk way for your intended prospect to learn about the kind of work you do? Low-risk means no pressure, LOW TIME requirements and that you'll let them decide and judge it for themselves. Most people value their TIME over their money, so show them respect for their time.

"It'll take 10 minutes to show you the kind of work I do and then you can judge it for yourself."

The hard part is having a concise presentation you can do in about 10 minutes! (Can't help you there!)

3) What IS the worst that can happen on a cold-call? You need to answer this question.

4) What HAS been the worst thing that has happened to you on a cold-call? Now, I did have an almost violent experience in prospecting once! I was with American Express Financial Advisors (now Ameriprise) and I was at Costco where we got to talk to Costco members on their way out the door about financial planning. (I was pretty good at this at the time. I usually averaged 5 interested people per hour!)

Well, I didn't want to stay at the "salesman table" (with 2-3 other advisors) waiting for people. I went around the store and talked to people THAT way. Well, apparently I talked to the wrong woman because her husband (both of middle-eastern descent) was REALLY IRATE that I spoke with his wife and demanded to see the manager. He grabbed my arm to try to drag me over. It took some other employees of Costco to get him to calm down - even after I tore up the phone number information in front of him.

I'm sure it was a cultural thing... but man, that was rough! And I was done prospecting for the day. And Costco did inform my manager at the time of what happened, so I wasn't to return to that location. I was embarassed too! It wasn't the way I wanted to start off my new career. (I only stayed with AEFA for a total of 4 days.)

I psychologically learned to "stay where the salespeople should stay so you don't cause any more trouble". I've had to re-frame that experience to learn "don't talk to customers of other businesses of the kind of work you do."

It was 6 years ago, and that experience still haunts me. Most people don't get assaulted when they prospect. I was, and I'd HATE to feel that uncomfortable again. Also, I have to remember that "it can't get any worse than that!"

Good info that has been posted. You may also want to check out a book called Cold Calling Techniques (That Really Work!) by Stephan Schiffman for some ideas to make the cold calling process more effective. The more effective you get at it the less terrified you are likely to be. In the beginning you have to face the fear and just do it and over time the fear should subside.

If you speak the truth - i.e. if you really be your natural self and really mean what you say then you will not be nervous and others will respond better. Tell them that you are terrified when you call em.

Back