The Health Care Reform Solution

The average insured family medical care bill is about $10,000, which would means well over $1 trillion per year if we had a national plan, more than doubling the federal budget. Neither Democrats nor Republicans can do much about unreasonable demands for more care at a lower price. We want the best of everything, but we don't want to pay for it, and think that's the fault of doctors, lawyers, and insurers.

National average health insurance rate increases for the coming year are expected to be about 9%. That's a combination of inflation, increased medical care, and increases in innovation (e.g., new drugs, treatments, etc.). If we want everybody covered, we'll have to make hard choices, and so far it doesn't appear that we're willing to vote for legislators who ask us to sacrifice anything.

Medicare is going broke because we won't push Congress to make us pay for it. Heaven help our children and grandchildren if we create a national healthcare system with as little self-restraint and tax support as Medicare. We have proven in the past that we won't pay.

Conceptually, it seems like a decent idea to offer reinsurance to help bridge the gap between routine bills and those that are catastrophic. I just don't see it happening. Our govt really seems more interested in competing with the carrier which in and of itself implies a winner and a loser. Guess who is going to win?

You were watching the movie Sicko.......To everyone who does not believe we have the best medical care anywhere in the world this is a Great Country you do not need to stay just move to the country of your choice.

Some say we are too tough on illegal immegrants but we give them rights once they illegally enter this country..They can march and protest American policy....I do not suggest you go to Mexico and protest there...Non-Citizens do not have a right to protest the goverment...They need help they go to the ER and recieve treatment..They may give a valid address and make payments on their treatment or they can just give a false address and not make payments....

Our system is not perfect but it will not get better with more goverment control.

The Health Care Reform Solution Go to Top
While watching the movie Sicko the following came to me.

Michael Moore is a triple bypass and a couple diabetic amputations waiting to happen. Meanwhile he tours the country lecturing everyone on why health care costs are so high.

What's wrong with this picture class?

Originally Posted by CHUMPS FROM OXFORD
There is a simple solution. Instead of spending 62K per peson for a new system, fine tune the existing system. Let the Govt. pitch in about 1/3 of what Obama has suggested and use that for the fine tuning. We would end up with a hell of a system.
Right, just give everyone a 5,000 tax credit as some of the republicans proposed and work out some kind of equivalent kicker for those who do not pay taxes. This would bring the system up to a higher level of functioning and then re-visit it in a couple years to see what the next step needs to be.

-------------------------

O.K., I’ll bite.
But do make sure that the “equivalent kicker” is in the form of a currency that is unusable for anything but medical expenses otherwise, guess what, that money will go on a flat screen TV or perhaps as a down payment on, wait for it, a Lincoln navigator.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Health Care Reform Solution
While watching the movie Sicko the following came to me.

Michael Moore is a triple bypass and a couple diabetic amputations waiting to happen. Meanwhile he tours the country lecturing everyone on why health care costs are so high.

What's wrong with this picture class?

---------------------------------

Michael Moore is nothing but another fomenting flame fanner who is making a buck selling the controversy.
“Sicko” all right.
How about filming the entire story Mick?
Sure, Canada boy pays nothing (besides huge taxation) when he goes into the e/r.
Great. How about showing the Canuck who is waiting 1 ½ years for his hip replacement or the girl who is waiting for 6 months for her thyroid cancer operation because it is deemed non emergency.
Oh that’s right, that wouldn’t p*ss as many people off and there by sell as much HBO or Netflix would it?

Last edited:
:nah:
I believe you mean avg health INSURANCE bill (premium), not medical care bill.

Big difference.
No, I mean average medical care bill for a family. The average family major medical premium is over $12k per year. That means a family with less than a six-figure income probably can't afford it.

Something for Nothing DAVID BROOKS June 22, 2009
On May 12, the Senate Finance Committee held a hearing on health care reform. There was a long table of 13 experts, and a vast majority agreed that ending the tax exemption on employer-provided health benefits should be part of a reform package.
They gave the reasons that experts — on right or left — always give for supporting this idea. The exemption is a giant subsidy to the affluent. It drives up health care costs by encouraging luxurious plans and by separating people from the consequences of their decisions. Furthermore, repealing the exemption could raise hundreds of billions of dollars, which could be used to expand coverage to the uninsured.
Democratic Senator Ron Wyden piped up and noted that he and Republican Senator Robert Bennett have a plan that repeals the exemption and provides universal coverage. The Wyden-Bennett bill has 14 bipartisan co-sponsors and the Congressional Budget Office has found that it would be revenue-neutral.
The Finance Committee’s chairman, Senator Max Baucus, looked exasperated. With that haughty and peremptory manner that they teach in Committee Chairman School, he told Wyden and the world that this idea was not going to happen.
In the World’s Greatest Deliberative Body, senators don’t run things. Chairmen and their staffs run things.
A successful plan has to be revenue-neutral for the government over the next 10 years, and it has to reduce the total health care burden over the long term so the country doesn’t go bankrupt. The Senate committee plans failed both criteria. They would cost the government more than $1 trillion this decade and send total health care costs zooming at least twice as fast as the economy as a whole.
Now you might think that in these circumstances someone might take a second look at the ideas incorporated in the Wyden-Bennett plan, which already has a good C.B.O. score, bipartisan support and a recipe for fundamental reform.
If you did think that, you are mistaking the Senate for a rational organism.
The committee staffs don’t like the approach because it’s not what they’ve been thinking about all these years. The left is uncomfortable with the language of choice and competition. Unions want to protect the benefits packages in their contracts. Campaign consultants are horrified at the thought of fiddling with a popular special privilege.
So the process is moving along as it has been.
We’ve built an entire health care system (maybe an entire government) on the illusion of something for nothing. Instead of tackling that basic logic, we’ve got a reform process that is trying to evade it.
If this process goes as it has been going — with grand rhetoric and superficial cost containment — then we will be far better off killing this effort and starting over in a few years. Maybe then there will be leaders willing to look at the options staring them in the face.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/opinion/23brooks.html?th&emc=th
This explains how we get the government we deserve, instead of government that's good for us.

fomenting flame fanner

Now that nails the problem square on...

Madam Chairperson, I move that Congress should spend an hour a day in chambers, repeating the phrase, "fomenting flame fanner", and consequently they will have far less time to impact the lives of hard working American citizens...

Do I hear a second to the motion...?

:err::D:nah:

I believe you mean avg health INSURANCE bill (premium), not medical care bill.

Big difference.
No, I mean average medical care bill for a family. The average family major medical premium is over $12k per year. That means a family with less than a six-figure income probably can't afford it.

You are still getting it wrong.

But I won't argue lest you decide to terminate me . . .

You are still getting it wrong.

But I won't argue lest you decide to terminate me . . .
I'm an actuary. Terminations are bad. I'll just wait 'til you fall off the end of the table. ;)

Total US medical expense estimate is $3+ trillion. Divide by US population 300+ million. Result $10,000.

Last edited:
Back