This 24-year-old mistakenly thought her health insurance covered her pregnancy—and 4.2 million other

That sucks, but everyone knows to check with your plan before a major thing such as getting pregnant, getting surgery, tests, etc. It just causes a huge headache, and loss of money in the end when you assume things are covered. I tell consumers to always ask questions about their coverage to make sure it is covered beforehand.

IDK as far as anything I have seen in the news, And anything that came out of the Politicians mouth, all plans are supposed to have maternity cov and birth control

If I knew nothing else about the plans I would have thought maternity cov and birth control both would be covered they basically shouted it from the roof tops

I probably wouldn't be on parents Ins at 24, but I would not have thought maternity might not be covered either

If the Govt we an agent they would be fined and possibly charged for negligence and mis info

Also, why do small companies have to offer this type of cov but not Large companies That can afford more?

I thought the Dems were for the little guy and against the large companies? Yet we see this over and over again

Vic120, you are essentially correct, but overlooking a significant point. This situation involves an adult dependent and a grandchild for the policyholder. It is rare that any group health plan would cover these expenses. This has been a long-standing benefit policy, going back at least a half century or more.

Vic120, you are essentially correct, but overlooking a significant point. This situation involves an adult dependent and a grandchild for the policyholder. It is rare that any group health plan would cover these expenses. This has been a long-standing benefit policy, going back at least a half century or more.

But you cant go back half a century when Politicians have been blasting from the rooftops they changed everything That Now because of the children can stay on parents policy to unreasonable age, and all preventive maternity and birth control will have to be on every policy including where it's not needed like a policy for a single male

Half a century does not apply to any of that rhetoric

They basically talk about it as if it was a toppling of a whole govt

And I mean i the sense of rhetoric, Not necessarily reality

So I do get hat you are saying all I am saying is the Govt at least the dems are negligent in any who are mislead into believing they would have cov they do not If the dems were agents they would be held responsible

Last edited:
Isn’t this the kind of stuff that Planned Parenthood is constantly promoting that they will provide for free? Abortions are only a very small part of what they do according to every interview I’ve ever heard with them. They help women without health insurance through their entire maternity.

My daughter is on our family policy through November of 2020. She recently inquired with our primary care about some issues with her hip and pain. She knows enough to call the plan and discuss the options once they speak with my wife for approval. She is getting married in October '20 and knows to go on her husband's policy. But some people always try to make it someone else's fault.

Isn’t this the kind of stuff that Planned Parenthood is constantly promoting that they will provide for free? Abortions are only a very small part of what they do according to every interview I’ve ever heard with them. They help women without health insurance through their entire maternity.
Prenatal care only.

When I was 25, it took about 1 month after my wife went off the pill to get her pregnant. I had just changed employers and only had the maternity covered because the Doc estimated a relatively late start to the pregnancy.

Just sayin that young girls get pregnant easy and learning the details of insurance isn't necessarily the 1st thing that comes to mind during the process.

Shouldn't need an insurance license to be able to pay for a normal birth.

When I was 25, it took about 1 month after my wife went off the pill to get her pregnant. I had just changed employers and only had the maternity covered because the Doc estimated a relatively late start to the pregnancy.

Just sayin that young girls get pregnant easy and learning the details of insurance isn't necessarily the 1st thing that comes to mind during the process.

Shouldn't need an insurance license to be able to pay for a normal birth.
Not a young girl, she is 24 years old!

Not a young girl, she is 24 years old!

Depends on frame of reference. She's young to many. I understand that carriers only cover what's in the contract and I actually read the contract. I also don't expect a young layperson to have the same knowledge base or to read the contract.

Perhaps they "should " or would be better off if they did but there is a learning curve that not many will go through or have a reason to go through.

I've come to believe that government should set the rules and carries should create the contracts. Part of the rules is what constitutes the list of allowed charges. The contract designates how allowed charges are handled.

We used to have pre-ex even on group even when a person had continuous coverage and thought the world would end by doing away with it. Somehow came up with plans and we managed and life went on.

Back