Tricare?

DHurd

Super Genius
Do you need to be a health producer to help someone sign up for tricare or change plans?

Do you need to be a health producer to help someone sign up for tricare or change plans?

In other words, no. But you can't sell it or make any money off it.

For T65, Tricare for Life is essentially a plan G with a drug plan. Putting a T4L on a Part C plan is not a good idea, as it still supplements, but it isn't seamless.. there's a lot of claims the client has to submit..

In other words, my opinion, leave them alone.

VA benefits you can help with MA. Most VA MA plans have a part B buyback, but no drug plan.

Maybe more than you asked, and maybe you already knew.

My understanding is the drs and hospitals are supposed to file the claims with tricare . If you show your tricare card and medadvantage you should be ok. Don’t forget your getting $600 a yr back and some plans have $2k dental .$200 eye glasses and $500 otc . Some want those benefits .

I'm just asking because I might be doing some work with UnitedHealth in their tricare portion of it

My understanding is the drs and hospitals are supposed to file the claims with tricare . If you show your tricare card and medadvantage you should be ok. Don’t forget your getting $600 a yr back and some plans have $2k dental .$200 eye glasses and $500 otc . Some want those benefits .

1) Filing manual claims and then ensuring those claims are resolved, while initiated by the doctor doesn't mean that the client doesn't have any part of the claims process or the hassle of not knowing if those issues are resolved.

2) You're giving up a free plan G for Managed Care and networks.

While the client may want that, and that's their right... I'd heavily caution what they're giving up to get their extras, because your argument is sub-optimal in most situations.

They'd pay more than $600 for their Plan G + Drug plan.

They have access to federal retirement Dental and vision, which can also cover dependents.

In my opinion, and it's really just a person one.. I'd leave them alone unless they asked about it. I wouldn't go out of my way to market to T4L.

Last edited:
I'm just asking because I might be doing some work with UnitedHealth in their tricare portion of it

If you're picking MA plans, you need to be a producer and certified. UHC has their own certification course,. So you don't need AHIP.

I looked at the dental plan during open enrollment . It was awful . $45 a month . What I understand talking with people the bills from the combined ma and tricare very minimal . I’m not arguing . I’m digging into it more. I’ll have to dig further to see if the benefits outweigh the minimal in convenience

I looked at the dental plan during open enrollment . It was awful . $45 a month .

Caveat, not an agent.

(And the following comments are not about MA or Tricare. the quoted portion of your post sounded like you were going to be doing an evaluation of dental insurance, possibly UHC's, and the comments are based on that assumption.)

I have learned in the past couple of months that price alone does not make a dental plan awful.

I just bought a second dental plan for 52.29 a month. The 16.74 plan i could have purchased was the awful one.

With UHC, there is also a divide at age 65 in relation to pricing and features of their dental plans. I think that if one does not buy non-group dental insurance until after age 65, they just have to factor in higher costs of coverage when they make their decisions. For some people off group and over 65 it still has utility and a place in their personal line-up of insurance coverage.

I looked at the dental plan during open enrollment . It was awful . $45 a month . What I understand talking with people the bills from the combined ma and tricare very minimal . I’m not arguing . I’m digging into it more. I’ll have to dig further to see if the benefits outweigh the minimal in convenience

Price alone is not sufficient to say it's horrible. For companies like Medico, their $45+ plan isn't great. However, if the plan also covers your spouse AND works like any other group plan.. it's worth it.
Fed benefits tend to be head and shoulders better than private, as you know. However, when you compare T4L vs individual MS+PDP, buying the Fed plan still puts them significantly net +.

T4L people have the right to do whatever they want. Personally, I wouldn't pitch the extra benefits of MA. They're nice, but the freedom they lose is significant.

T4L w/ Original is just a better plan.

Back