Trying to Create an Insurance Sales Site

I'm confused. Are you John or Raphael? Even if you are a one man shop, why not have your name and maybe a picture on your website? When I go to a website, i want to know who I'm dealing with.

I do like your website design. Very nice indeed.

Its business I don't want people to know who I am. I want them to know who my company is.

Do you know the owner of Geico or Esurance without looking them up on google? probably not and most people when shopping for insurance would rather go to a company than a lone person. So that's what I give them.

"John",
Well, your blog says who you are and the BBB page says who you are...so I suppose you don't mind people knowing who you are after all.

Its business I don't want people to know who I am. I want them to know who my company is.

Do you know the owner of Geico or Esurance without looking them up on google? probably not and most people when shopping for insurance would rather go to a company than a lone person. So that's what I give them.

I totally get it. When HTQ started out, we only had 2 employees [besides me & my partner], each of them was the VP of their department:)

Or have different departments on the site with a "site name" for each of them. You get the call anyway & say: Sally was busy & asked me to handle this:)

I am 100% with you in not using your name as the agency name. If it is the John Smith Agency, then when folks call they always want to talk to John! Also, assumning you have an exit plan...much easier to sell the "Geico Agency" than John Smith agency. Just plug in a new agency principal! Much, Much better!

I'd encourage all agents to do that.

BBB has your name [a requirement for contact] & says you have 4 employees. One pays membership to BBB based on # of employees:)

Nice:idea:

Last edited:
BBB has your name [a requirement for contact] & says you have 4 employees. One pays membership to BBB based on # of employees:)

Nice:idea:

I did not know that.... oh well I only paid $450 so even if I over paid a bit I like that it says 4 employees. I didn't lie to the BBB so I can't be held liable for their misguidance of the public in order to collect more money :GEEK:

"John",
Well, your blog says who you are and the BBB page says who you are...so I suppose you don't mind people knowing who you are after all.

I don't care if people know who I am but I'm not the focus. Read what Bob posted this is my exact reasoning.

You went from "I don't want people to know who I am" to "I don't care if people know who I am".

I never said you should have your name as part of the business name. I love the name of your Company and think it's very effective.

You went from "I don't want people to know who I am" to "I don't care if people know who I am".

I never said you should have your name as part of the business name. I love the name of your Company and think it's very effective.

Sorry let me rephrase that. I want people to know my company more than they know me.

JW, I'm kinda in your same boat. I'm building my website now from scratch. Its not my name its a company name, because somewhere down the line I will want to sell it. What I can tell you about so far is the quote engine is the most important part of the website. People need to be able to find and compare rates/plans/terms.

Last edited:
What you may want to do is go the local search route.

By that, I mean create as many local search business listings as you can (Google Places, CitySearch, Yelp!, Manta, etc.). This is one of the fastest ways to get first page listings there is.

You don't need much of a website to do this -- in fact you actually don't need a website at all.

The reason I mention this approach is because a new website is going to take you forever to build out and rank. You will probably need at least 18 pages to realistically compete. It will take you anywhere from 6 months to 5 years to get enough website traffic to where it makes a difference.

Pay-per-click advertising is not a cost effective option.

Mike Merten

Back