Uhc Cutting Commissions?

Just got off the phone with UHC, apparently they aren't just cutting commissions... but dropping all On Exchange plans in all but 7 states. I can't remember which ones, but noted that none of the states I am licensed in will be available. (KS,MO,CO,IN,IA)

Just got off the phone with UHC, apparently they aren't just cutting commissions... but dropping all On Exchange plans in all but 7 states. I can't remember which ones, but noted that none of the states I am licensed in will be available. (KS,MO,CO,IN,IA)

I assume they will be honoring people that are already enrolled? Strange timing.

Last edited:
ok that's even crazier- I know they're redoing their aca plans for 2017 so that it can be profitable for them and agents as well- increasing the rates, but why the eff on earth would these jacka**es do this in the middle of OER?? they had all year to plan this...who's running the company anyway? What really two weeks into OER they couldn't believe the numbers they were seeing?? this makes no sense...something else is up. Dropping the plans though is at least better so consumers are now forced into going to other plans and agents can utilize the other companies

someone i know who claims to know people at uhc, is saying that its a move theyre making against obamacare- kind of like doing something to stir up issues and get people even agents to not like obamacare and for it to affect everyone- not sure how true that is but who knows

Last edited:
Sorry a quick edit, as I'm still learning about this situation like everyone else.. I quickly emailed my manager about the news I received and he looked a little bit more into it. The details they found were that UHC has shut down the marketplace plans through their broker portal. However the plans are still available through HC.gov. So basically the only way to do so now is by having the client create an account on hc.gov and assisting their application that way.

That would make more sense than cutting commissions. If you're losing money, get out of that market. Agents are just one source of UHC Exchange sales.

Sorry a quick edit, as I'm still learning about this situation like everyone else.. I quickly emailed my manager about the news I received and he looked a little bit more into it. The details they found were that UHC has shut down the marketplace plans through their broker portal. However the plans are still available through HC.gov. So basically the only way to do so now is by having the client create an account on hc.gov and assisting their application that way.

You can also call broker services for a quote. (Obviously not the way to do it)

Not sure where you received this info but you may want to check the source. My contact at UHC and the comp posted to the broker portal say nothing of this.

Not sure where you received this info but you may want to check the source. My contact at UHC and the comp posted to the broker portal say nothing of this.

I received it after calling the 800 number on the Broker Portal. I've had issues quoting On Exchange products in KS since the beginning of OE. All of my FFM is up to date and I could quote On Exchange UHC in at least CO. I called a week ago to get it straightened out and they claimed it would be fixed in 24-48 hours. 5 days later (11/16) I called again to figure out what was taking so long. She explained that some sort of internal issue was causing it and that I could speak with her manager, halfway through she stopped and said, "I have some bad news anyway, and its up to you if you want to continue." Thats when she explained how only a select few states will be able to sell On Exchange products through UHC's portal.

I've only been in the business since July, so I'm not an expert by any means. But what she told me didn't sound good. As of today, I can't quote On Exchange in any states that I'm appointed in.

I received it after calling the 800 number on the Broker Portal. I've had issues quoting On Exchange products in KS since the beginning of OE. All of my FFM is up to date and I could quote On Exchange UHC in at least CO. I called a week ago to get it straightened out and they claimed it would be fixed in 24-48 hours. 5 days later (11/16) I called again to figure out what was taking so long. She explained that some sort of internal issue was causing it and that I could speak with her manager, halfway through she stopped and said, "I have some bad news anyway, and its up to you if you want to continue." Thats when she explained how only a select few states will be able to sell On Exchange products through UHC's portal.

I've only been in the business since July, so I'm not an expert by any means. But what she told me didn't sound good. As of today, I can't quote On Exchange in any states that I'm appointed in.

There are a number of third party tools you can use to quote.

Back