Walmart Enters Health Insurance Mkt

Saturday October 18, 2014

Visited with a DirectHealth agent in Walmart briefly this afternoon on my way out the door.

FROM THE 3 MINUTE VISIT:
1. Nice guy. Middle aged. Wore "Direct Health" name tag.
2. Crammed against the wall near the exit...where the 42degree breeze would pay a visit every 10 seconds as shoppers left.
3. Could not sit down. It was a kiosk.
4. Kiosk was "Humana" branded.
5. Could only talk generalities at this point, and hand out Humana branded ACA general info brochures. Can't get specific until 11/15/14.
6. Told him I was an agent, he looked around, leaned over to me, and asked if the ACA is a bunch of bull chit.

My wife was waiting behind me, so I just wished him well and departed. (We exited out the further door to keep his stuff from flapping around so much!)
ac

This is sad AC......If I would've been there I would've told him you will make more money stocking the shelves here than doing this..(with more dignity too) ......Put your application in today!

This is sad AC......If I would've been there I would've told him you will make more money stocking the shelves here than doing this..(with more dignity too) ......Put your application in today!

Actually, the DirectHealth/Walmart guy had the look and demeanor of a successful agent. I just think he was rushed into and through ACA certification. He'll probably be glad when ACA open enrollment is over so he can go back to his primary field of Life, LTC, or whatever.
ac

The WalMarts in my area have unmanned tables with pamphlets (from Direct Health) that prompt you to go to "healthcarebeginshere" dot com.

Whoops...I see Somarco already said that.

Walmart in my area had a table shoved between 2 racks of woman's clothes staffed by a scruffy guy in jeans and a ratty tshirt reading a book did not even acknowledge my presence.

I started my greeter training over the weekend and have already been fired for forcing someone to take a damn cart.:laugh::laugh:

Wth is with greeters when WalMarts first came to my area more than 3 people in a line and the opened a new line right now those 2 "greeters" could be 2 more cashiers.

Don't know man, they just told me they made a mistake hiring me since they actually got rid of greeter's over a year ago and my attitude may have had something to do with it.

I think both Individual and Medicare-focused agents alike are confused with the DirectHealth.com agenda. The kiosks are manned by independent agents who can offer at least 3 of the major carriers in the area - both Medicare and ACA.

In the past, Walmart has hosted and co-branded various carriers such as Humana - with the focus primarily on the Medicare market.

The new Directhealth.com initiative seems to shift the focus to the ACA market.

However, lack of brand recognition, lack of guidance, generic "Healthcare Begins Here" logos and shirts, and former Medigap/MA agents being asked to provide ACA expertise -- well -- I can't imagine any agent young or old feeling like anything less than a deer in headlights.

I think the public perception, as well as the insurance community perception, is that the folks in these kiosks are "Healthcare.gov Navigators" rather than licensed agents.

(And perhaps that is the ultimate goal - get rid of agents) - ???

Just food for thought. I'd love to get this thread alive again, hear more from senior market agents, and also hear some feedback from "boots-on-the-ground" agents who are actually working these kiosks.

Walmart in my area had a table shoved between 2 racks of woman's clothes staffed by a scruffy guy in jeans and a ratty tshirt reading a book did not even acknowledge my presence.

Was he shoved between the bras and panties? Obviously this scruffy, ratty guy was overwhelmed!
;)

Back