What Advise Can You Give Me?

askhim

Hello from Minnesota. Im looking for some advise. I have never sold insurance but I have working about 10 years in the insurance industry. I first worked for Kemper Insurance Companies until they were bought out my St Paul Company. I then worked for Security Life until I was laid off in November.

I am now looking at maybe becoming an Insurance agent. I have concerns because I have never sold insurance before. Im looking at a company that provides all the leads for you. I guess im looking for some advise on what can I expect in becoming an agent.

What do you feel the #1 thing is to be a successful agent and what does someone like me have to do to be successful.
Any advise would greatly appreciated

hard work and thick skin. No real easy way to go about things. You'll get what you put into it, AND sometimes you won't. How you handle that last part determines if you're here next year.

Hello from Minnesota. Im looking for some advise. I have never sold insurance but I have working about 10 years in the insurance industry. I first worked for Kemper Insurance Companies until they were bought out my St Paul Company. I then worked for Security Life until I was laid off in November.

I am now looking at maybe becoming an Insurance agent. I have concerns because I have never sold insurance before. Im looking at a company that provides all the leads for you. I guess im looking for some advise on what can I expect in becoming an agent.

What do you feel the #1 thing is to be a successful agent and what does someone like me have to do to be successful.

Most places that provide all of the leads for you do not turn out to be great places to be at but then again it could be a place to start. Check this company out on here if you haven't already.

My advice, generate your own leads. That goes back to the previous posters criteria, hard work and thick skin. If you are not willing (or emotionally able) to generate your own leads, my advise is to do something else. It's not for everyone.

To add what everyone else said, you need to generate your own leads.

The ability to effectively prospect is what makes sales. Most of your time will be spent prospecting, and if you want to avoid that, expect to pay a very, very heavy price. In other words, don't plan on making much money if you are counting on someone else to provide you with leads.

Before you start talking to clients about their finances, do learn the difference between the verb "advise" and the noun "advice."

This is what I know about the opportunity so far. I would be selling Hartford products. This is what I was told. People are looking for Life insurance. They call or request information through the web site. Hartford sends all the lead a GA and the GA would send them to the agents depends on the area. I was told I would get about 20-30 leads a week.

Now my question is why would Hartford give lead away when they could chase the leads themself?

The agency is Heartland Financial located in Stillwater, MN. Has anyone from Minnesota heard of this agency?

This is what I know about the opportunity so far. I would be selling Hartford products. This is what I was told. People are looking for Life insurance. They call or request information through the web site. Hartford sends all the lead a GA and the GA would send them to the agents depends on the area. I was told I would get about 20-30 leads a week.
Expect a lot of uninsurables. Unless Hartford has a big appetite for high risk cases, which I doubt, you're going to need more than one company to place the majority of the leads. Also, most will have unrealistic ideas of how much coverage is.

Now my question is why would Hartford give lead away when they could chase the leads themself?

See above. Also, most people in the HO could sell insurance if their life depended on it. The system is, they provide the insurance, agents and the agency system sell it. They are not going to rock that boat. It simply isn't worth it to them to risk pissing off all their GAs by writing a few terms cases internally.

Whenever somebody promises to provide all the leads for you: big red flag. Bigtime. If you have a white pages phone book, you can have better chances at getting info for leads than what these guys provide.

askhim, me thinks that you're getting the word free mixed up, there are no free leads in this world, you will be giving up anywhere from 30 to 60% of your comm. to get those free leads. Just my spin on the situation from an old agent! t hall

Back