• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

What Individual Health companies would you use in Michigan?

mmb98

Expert
I am anticipating getting into the individual health insurance market more here in Michigan. Does anybody have experience in this market here. I have dabbled a little in the past.

Currently I am appointed directly with Assurant/John Alden, Humana, United Health Care/Golden Rule, and Blue Cross Blue Shield. I am getting 20% as earned on all but the BCBS which is only 8% (but there is no underwriting involved).

I went to eHealthInsurance.com and noticed Unicare and Aetna came up quite a bit (so did Celtic, but based only on a bit of information, I'm not too impressed by this company). Do you think Unicare and Aetna would be worth getting appointed with (or other companies), or should I stick with what I have?

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

depends on how much business you plan on losing......

healthcard.jpg

I am anticipating getting into the individual health insurance market more here in Michigan. Does anybody have experience in this market here. I have dabbled a little in the past.

Currently I am appointed directly with Assurant/John Alden, Humana, United Health Care/Golden Rule, and Blue Cross Blue Shield. I am getting 20% as earned on all but the BCBS which is only 8% (but there is no underwriting involved).

I went to eHealthInsurance.com and noticed Unicare and Aetna came up quite a bit (so did Celtic, but based only on a bit of information, I'm not too impressed by this company). Do you think Unicare and Aetna would be worth getting appointed with (or other companies), or should I stick with what I have?

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
It is my understanding from internal sources that Assurant Health has targeted Mi as 1 of 4 states that they expect to do really well with.

Michigan is a great state - Unicare is hit or miss with their network and they rate up like crazy (non waiver state). It is nice to have a GI BCBS so you can put the unhealthy on BCBS MI and write the rest elsewhere.

8% on GI is great except you can not write direct and they are a huge pain to deal with, very incompetent.

Overall MI is a great state, it sounds like you have your bases covered between Unicare, Aetna, UHC / GR, you got the bulk of it.

Back