"What will this cost me?"

I am coming across this more often and I try to withhold giving them a number for the fact that if I do, then I have already given them what they were looking for and now they will simply call me back.
What would a good solid rebuttle be to say to them that will help me bild value instead of cheapness.

The folks at NAA teach you how to build value. I used to have their script but have no idea where it is now.

Basically they get both husband & wife on the phone. Build up the husband as someone who obviously cares about his family, otherwise he never would have returned the card. Get's agreement from the husband, then gets commitment from the wife that she is all for this.

Tell them you have to work up the numbers now that you know they are ready to take a serious look at their future. You will bring them 3 offers and let them decide which one best fits their needs & budget. You get agreement that if you have something that fits their needs and budget you will take an application and pick up a check.

Circle back to confirm everything, then remind them you will be taking an app & pick up a check.

Do a Columbo move.

Oh, by the way . . . how many sick days do you have accrued at work? Can you go for 3 months without a paycheck or is 1 month more realisitic?

Would you like to see a plan that would make your mortgage payment for you when you cannot work due to illness or accident?

Great.

I am writing our appointment down for Tuesday at 7 PM. I have your home number & cell number. In case something comes up I will call so you don't have to tie up your evening waiting on me. I don't want to inconvenience you because of some last minute emergency and I am sure you feel the same.

You do have my cell number and will call if an emergency prevents you from keeping our appointment, right?

Let me make sure I have this right. I will be there on Tuesday at 7 to show you 3 options including ways to pay your mortgage when you are unable to work. If you see something that fits your needs & budget I will take an app and pick up a check.

Are we in agreement on this?

Great

What you are doing is selling the appointment. You cant sell the product over the phone, you have to sell the appointment.

If they wont commit on the appointment thank them for their time. Tell them you realize they are busy and can appreciate the fact they don't want to rush in to any thing. Ask them if they can review their options in a week or is 2 weeks more comfortable. Then make a commitment to call them back and once more try to set the appointment.

If you get this far, call them back in a week or 2 and cannot get the appointment you do not have a prospect. Time to move on.

James said:
tell them $20......what would be a good time to meet.....

Not all live in trailer parks sti...

WHAT.....you don't think a ...say 35 to 40 year old person can get $150,000 of term life insurance for $20........

Uhhh? Oh well, I guess I didn't get me real meaning out. I guess you could, maybe a 5 or 10 year plan. Yet I don't see how that does all that much good.

somarco said:
The folks at NAA teach you how to build value. I used to have their script but have no idea where it is now.

Basically they get both husband & wife on the phone. Build up the husband as someone who obviously cares about his family, otherwise he never would have returned the card. Get's agreement from the husband, then gets commitment from the wife that she is all for this.

Tell them you have to work up the numbers now that you know they are ready to take a serious look at their future. You will bring them 3 offers and let them decide which one best fits their needs & budget. You get agreement that if you have something that fits their needs and budget you will take an application and pick up a check.

Circle back to confirm everything, then remind them you will be taking an app & pick up a check.

Do a Columbo move.

Oh, by the way . . . how many sick days do you have accrued at work? Can you go for 3 months without a paycheck or is 1 month more realisitic?

Would you like to see a plan that would make your mortgage payment for you when you cannot work due to illness or accident?

Great.

I am writing our appointment down for Tuesday at 7 PM. I have your home number & cell number. In case something comes up I will call so you don't have to tie up your evening waiting on me. I don't want to inconvenience you because of some last minute emergency and I am sure you feel the same.

You do have my cell number and will call if an emergency prevents you from keeping our appointment, right?

Let me make sure I have this right. I will be there on Tuesday at 7 to show you 3 options including ways to pay your mortgage when you are unable to work. If you see something that fits your needs & budget I will take an app and pick up a check.

Great

What you are doing is selling the appointment. You cant sell the product over the phone, you have to sell the appointment.

If they wont commit on the appointment thank them for their time. Tell them you realize they are busy and can appreciate the fact they don't want to rush in to any thing. Ask them if they can review their options in a week or is 2 weeks more comfortable. Then make a commitment to call them back and once more try to set the appointment.

If you get this far, call them back in a week or 2 and cannot get the appointment you do not have a prospect. Time to move on.

Thanks for all this info. I am doing some of that and see where I could do things different.

One Warning...

If you go down this street of selling life insurance, don't take advancements! Go monthly, at least you keep what you make! Or that you won't become seriously indebted to a Insurance Carrier.

Re: One Warning...

James said:
If you go down this street of selling life insurance, don't take advancements! Go monthly, at least you keep what you make! Or that you won't become seriously indebted to a Insurance Carrier.

I see what you mean. I have had my fair share of chargebacks that have put me a rough spot. Sometimes I wonder if I got into this too fast, without thinking it through all the way and making sure I had a backup plan. :(

Do a Columbo move.

Great.

Great

What you are talking about there is the 'Hudgins" system. You have it close, but not quite. Still it's an emotional based system with the "I love you" and the "think about it" , the "why" and so on. That was when they basically set everything up over the phone and you pretty much went to the house to get a check.

I loved that system and did very well with it. In early '05 NAA went with more of the Simpkins approach and you didn't discuss anything on the phone except the appointment. You basically only sold the appointment. I also did very well with that system.

I use much of both still today.

To answer the op's question, you never give a price or discuss qualifications over the phone if your goal is to meet face to face with them. If you are going to do any of that then you should just do the whole deal by phone and don't go meet with them.

I do only face to face appointments. I set my own appoinments. I don't do MP anymore, actually never did. I got MP leads from NAA, but I sold life insurance. If people were in good enough health to get a fully underwritten policy at a better rate, I told them about it and recommended it. I never did the scare tactics that we were taught about having an exam. I was never keen on the ROP stuff either.

I only prospect for FE now, but I work the same way and same schedule. I am genrally in the field on Tues. and Thurs. I set my Tues. appointments on Mon. I set my Thurs. appointments on Wed.

I never ask about health and I never quote any rates over the phone. It's pretty rare that anyone wants to get into a discussion about rates but, when they do, I shut that down and by telling them that I will go over that when I get there and will show them the best rates available that they qualify for. Some people will not meet with me unless I give them a rate first. That lead card goes in the trash can. As someone else already said, those people are time wasters from getgo.

You can either have a model to sell by phone or face to face. They don't mix well together.

Now, people will tell you to use tricks, {for lack of a better word}, like saying, "OK, $2!". When they ask what $2 is, you tell them that is a quote, it's just like if you called me wanting a quote on a used car and I just gave you a price without any other details. Or say thing like; "You can't go to the doctor and he just gives you a prescription without asking about why you are there".

That's marketer BS. If you are trying to set face to face appointments and the person will not meet without a price, kick that one to the curb and move on to the next one.

If you don't want to do that, just the do the whole appoinment on the phone.

Back