The problem with insurance is it's based off performance. I've seen morons making 250k because they sell shamelessly, and I've seen well intentioned geniuses flounder...

Location, experience and product are factors for sure... so can you make 300... yeah... statistically is it realistic? Well, the 80/20 rule applies to the 80/20 as well.
Lets hope im in the top 20 lol

There are a number of known successful agents/agency owners on this forum who started in this business by choosing a less than ideal opportunity. They all succeeded because they did not give up on themselves, and someone else thought enough of them to give them a chance with a better opportunity.

Experience is the teacher

Determination is what get you the degree

Don't think there are too many that didn't make costly mistakes getting to where they are. Think that is the difference between many who make it and those that don't

The determination to not give up and keep moving forward

Experience is the teacher

Determination is what get you the degree

Don't think there are too many that didn't make costly mistakes getting to where they are. Think that is the difference between many who make it and those that don't

The determination to not give up and keep moving forward

Experience is not a teacher for the op. The op has 20 years in commercial sales, and got roped in by a sales pitch.

Experience is not a teacher for the op. The op has 20 years in commercial sales, and got roped in by a sales pitch.

Man I have been in sales on and off since I was 19, Insurance sales (not as much in medicare which I do now) 3 and half years before going independent

I found I knew nothing about owning a business, I made mistakes many things I would have done differently

Especially, I would have spent more on leads in the first couple of years, I was so timid about spending money at first, I have made a couple of FMO mistakes too

Once when I was about 3 months in a recruiter called me sold me on a free mailer, With a contract for a carrier that was supposed to be the number one carrier ( I forget the name but they no longer sell medd supp) and that every agent that does this mailer has sold near a deal a day, And have earned more mailers based on production

LOL

They sent me boxes unposted oversized mailpieces, I had to pay for postage and attach postage, Cost me a lot more then a reg mailer would have, can't remember exactly but between $600 and $800 plus the time to add postage, I was working overnights on another job to make ends meet too at the time I was so mad

When I got now responses back I started calling and all I heard But I never heard of them

Yea there were lessons to be learned

Man I have been in sales on and off since I was 19, Insurance sales (not as much in medicare which I do now) 3 and half years before going independent

I found I knew nothing about owning a business, I made mistakes many things I would have done differently

Especially, I would have spent more on leads in the first couple of years, I was so timid about spending money at first, I have made a couple of FMO mistakes too

Once when I was about 3 months in a recruiter called me sold me on a free mailer, With a contract for a carrier that was supposed to be the number one carrier ( I forget the name but they no longer sell medd supp) and that every agent that does this mailer has sold near a deal a day, And have earned more mailers based on production

LOL

They sent me boxes unposted oversized mailpieces, I had to pay for postage and attach postage, Cost me a lot more then a reg mailer would have, can't remember exactly but between $600 and $800 plus the time to add postage, I was working overnights on another job to make ends meet too at the time I was so mad

When I got now responses back I started calling and all I heard But I never heard of them

Yea there were lessons to be learned
Hey Vic, thank you for sharing that. Do you think it would be smart for a new P&C agent to rely heavily on internet leads in the first few years? I know every situation is different but just looking for some advice. Thank you so much

Hey Vic, thank you for sharing that. Do you think it would be smart for a new P&C agent to rely heavily on internet leads in the first few years? I know every situation is different but just looking for some advice. Thank you so much

I don't do PNC so I wouldn't say, I do medicare it has changed a lot, What I would say 5 years ago is different than today

In fact today I am hesitant to advise I, new agent, Many aren't happy with results, Also If I were new today I would probably start different then how I operate today, If I were new today I might start direct mail, However, I do not do that much and run internet leads, This is not an easy game for a newer agent anymore, It was lot different 5 years ago

This thread has really grown. I take responsibility for my actions and will not detail circumstances nor appeal for anyone on this forum or otherwise to approve of them. I won't disclose names while there are still terms to settle. Thanks to those who have contributed with helpful insight and suggestions.

Back