• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Whole Life Questions

bok6ys13

Hi,my daughter took out a whole life simplified issue policy 7 yrs. ago on me and i never did look at the policy until today, i have had controlled hypertension for 14 yrs. but on application it did not mention hypertension it only ask if i had congestive heart failure,

After reading on internet it became confusing, just thinking they may consider hypertension -CHF even thou from what i have read hypertension could lead to chf it is not chf.

Medilexicons medical dictionary says chf is inadequacy of the heart so that as a pump it fails to maintain the circulation of blood, so could they consider me with chf even thou i only have hypertension (controlled)---confusing.

Thanks

The answer depends a lot on the specific company, but the most likely answer is no, they are not going to suggest that hypertension is CHF.
Simplified issue is often used as a product to avoid things like this. However, hypertension is almost always looked at merely as elevated blood pressure (to varying degrees) and is usually not a reason for rating or decline in a fully underwritten policy (remember, you're simplified issue, so your qualification requirements are even more lax).

On top of that, your policy is outside of the contestability period, so unless there was something that you blatantly lied about (we actually call it a misrepresentation) worst the insurance company can do now is lower the total death benefit to what the premiums paid would have purchased if they had known what you misrepresented.

Again, to be clear, no they are not likely going to consider hypertension CHF, you're fine.

Back