Why does Final Expense feel scummy

Two attorneys will thrive in a town where one attorney would starve.
So, true. I know a PC agent in my town with about $1.5M in PC premium that has been doing it for 25-30 years. Always complained he had everyone insured, rates were bad, etc. New person comes into town from same exact carrier & within 7 years has over $5M of Personal lines PC premium & when people ask for referrals online on Facebook in a community group, the newer agent active in the community will be recommended a dozen times whereas the 25-30 year agent is almost always only recommended by his own staff person

So, true. I know a PC agent in my town with about $1.5M in PC premium that has been doing it for 25-30 years. Always complained he had everyone insured, rates were bad, etc. New person comes into town from same exact carrier & within 7 years has over $5M of Personal lines PC premium & when people ask for referrals online on Facebook in a community group, the newer agent active in the community will be recommended a dozen times whereas the 25-30 year agent is almost always only recommended by his own staff person
Not quite the same as the two attorneys. The reason two attorneys will thrive is one of them will bring a suit against someone and that person will have to hire the other to defend the suit. In your case, you have two insurance agents, one lazy and one ambitious. The fact one writes a policy does not create business for the other.

Back