• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Would someone explain those percentages?

SShockley21

TX
Ok please don't laugh at me but I'm new so I need this broken down for me. I had the unfortunate error of being with American Income Life temporarily. They started me out at 50% and said that I could work up to 65%. So I thought this went to 100%. After being on this forum I see things like 120%, 140%, and so on. I just want to know, how high do these percentages go, and if I want the best comp plan it looks like I should be independent, is that right? By the way, I'm looking for my new career presently and interviewing right now. I probably won't be able to be independent at first because I can't afford leads and other things needed to be independent which means I'll have to take a lower percentage, free leads, and hopefully not be captive. If there are any suggestions then I'd appreciate it.

Ok please don't laugh at me but I'm new so I need this broken down for me. I had the unfortunate error of being with American Income Life temporarily. They started me out at 50% and said that I could work up to 65%. So I thought this went to 100%. After being on this forum I see things like 120%, 140%, and so on. I just want to know, how high do these percentages go, and if I want the best comp plan it looks like I should be independent, is that right? By the way, I'm looking for my new career presently and interviewing right now. I probably won't be able to be independent at first because I can't afford leads and other things needed to be independent which means I'll have to take a lower percentage, free leads, and hopefully not be captive. If there are any suggestions then I'd appreciate it.
I don't know what type of life AIL primarily sells (so hopefully someone can compare) but:

Big mutuals typically pay 55-85
Traditional life (term, GUL, IUL) pays 80-95/100
Final expense and mortgage protection (which is simplified issue term, often built for a lot of health risks) will pay 100-130.

So, it really depends on your market.

Thanks for the info! Just for the record AIL pays 50 starting out and that can increase to 65. They sell FE and MP.

Evaluating %'s without understanding the volume to fill those %'s is a math error at best.

Let me put it this way:
FE & MP: If your average sale is $1,200 ($100/month), you could get a 120% contract to advance you 75% (9 months) of the 1st year premiums.
$1,200 x 120% = $1,440 x 75% = $1,080

Traditional life: If I sell a 10-pay annual premium whole life policy:
$50,000 x 45% = $22,500 + bonuses or overrides.

It really depends on what kinds of problems you're solving and the premiums you're selling, not the %'s. As @Tahoe Ray pointed out it really depends on your market.

DHK I know what you posted for the WL is an example but for something like that which is a 10 pay is that type of premium mostly marketed to or a solution for Executives and business owners?

but for something like that which is a 10 pay is that type of premium mostly marketed to or a solution for Executives and business owners?

It is a strategy marketed to savers who would like to covert forever taxed money to never taxed money. $50k premium on a 10 pay is only $500k.

Back