Would you hire a public adjuster?

And this is 99% of the problem - the policy does not say that Xactimate (or a dumb desk adjuster) determines the price.

You as the insurance company should not determine price - the market determines price. Nor should you dictate which contractor and at what price the work is done. You indemnify - period.

Your homeowners insurance premium would be 3 or 4 times what it is now. Do you want that? Because that's what you'll get if you want the insurance industry to pay whatever the contractor's want without any controls. You (the collective you) already squeal like a stuck pig whenever your rates go up.

Your homeowners insurance premium would be 3 or 4 times what it is now. Do you want that? Because that's what you'll get if you want the insurance industry to pay whatever the contractor's want without any controls. You (the collective you) already squeal like a stuck pig whenever your rates go up.

Doesn't matter what I want. It doesn't matter what you want either...

Last I checked - it's still a free market out there.

My experience is that the adjusters and the insurance companies have done a FANTASTIC job of convincing homeowners, themselves, and even many contractors that they someone determine the prices that private companies (contractors) can charge for services.

It's asinine - and a bit comical if you think about it.

Joe Smith goes out and starts a roofing company --- but John the adjuster tells Joe Smith what he can charge for shingles and labor?

C'mon.... we don't live in Russia.

Several times I even said to homeowners - "well, they control the price, so it is what it is" then we did a job at 20% margin (low for roofing).

But... then it hit me. No - they don't dictate price. They think they do... but they don't. The policy does not give them that power. Nor does the policy give the adjuster/carrier the right to choose which company is hired.

Joe Smith needs to run his company and charge his prices, achieving his desired margins --- and the policyholder needs to be indemnified. Period.

I would strongly suggest using a public adjuster the same way when you go to court you hire a lawyer same way if you have property damage you should hire an adjuster I understand a lot of you guys had bad experiences with adjuster but the company I used actually was very friendly and didn't make a promise they couldn't keep they ended up settling on a way higher note then I ever would of expected here is the company I used you can check it out https://www.americantrustpublicadjusters.com

Then again, you joined today and all your posts have been hawking that website so you're not exactly an unbiased opinion.

This gives me the opportunity to talk about public adjusters.

Let's use a roof as an example. The roof costs 10,000 to replace. Public adjuster charges 15%. That leaves you with 8,500 to replace your roof (less your deductible). You probably wouldn't hire a public adjuster if you knew that was the outcome. What does the public adjuster do to get customers. He promises to get you 11,500 so he gets his 15% and you get enough to replace your roof. How does he do that? He inflates the repair estimate.

What do we call that, class? INSURANCE FRAUD.

I dealt with public adjusters for years. They are scammers. Beware.

You are actually right most public adjusters are very sly and full of fraud and I have multiple properties and have had to use different companies and different adjusters now I have my solidified adjuster and anytime I need to do a claim I call him up directly so in most instances you're right but there's an expection to the rule and that's American Trust Public Adjusters https://www.americantrustpublicadjusters.com/

I have to hand it to you, you slip that website in every post.

Back