You Tell 'em in CT, Mary Jennings!

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Good piece in The Connecticut Mirror today about brokers leaving the Connecticut exchange because commissions are being eliminated or reduced. Course we all know this, but nice to have a piece informing consumers.

Mary Jennings, a health insurance broker in Westport, CT, testified at a public hearing last week. Here are some excerpts from the article (link below):

Jennings is one of more than 250 brokers certified to help customers navigate the state exchange, Access Health CT, and find the plan that best fits their needs. But next year, she said, she won’t be helping customers anymore if the health insurers on the exchange decide to eliminate the already-low commissions they pay to brokers like her.

As state regulators consider rate proposals for next year, both of the carriers set to remain on Connecticut's exchange – Anthem and ConnectiCare – could eliminate their commissions for brokers in 2017, creating uncertainty as brokers and customers plan for the coming year. Anthem said earlier this year it would eliminate broker commissions while ConnectiCare has yet to decide.

Since brokers are involved in about 40 percent of the plans sold on the exchange, according to officials at Access Health, their exit could have a significant impact on enrollment next year. The situation is “difficult,” Access Health CEO Jim Wadleigh said, adding that there would be consequences if broker commissions are taken away.

“We will lose a well-functioning process to assist residents of Connecticut in the selection of health plans,” Wadleigh said. “There’s confusion and uncertainty with (brokers). We’re really not sure how to proceed at this point.”

“Every independent broker in the state would no longer write a policy – period,” Jennings said. “They might help select individuals if they are also providing other insurance brokership for that individual or family. Many of my colleagues have already positioned themselves to exit.”

Jennings said she and other brokers expect ConnectiCare to follow Anthem’s lead, either eliminating commissions or offering nominal ones. A final decision will not come until state regulators complete their review of the rate requests in September.

Health insurance brokers set to exit exchange if commissions go | The CT Mirror

I don't sell health coverage but I know a lot of guys (and gals) who did... and they all got out and went into different sectors of the financial services industry. To a person they told me that they all saw this coming... that health agents were on the same road that travel agents went down.

So my guess is that this is not a surprise to anyone here.

It won't be long until most insurance agents as well as securities brokers will be going down that road... replaced by robo-advisors... some of which are online now.

Robo-advisor (robo-adviser) Definition | Investopedia

I don't sell health coverage but I know a lot of guys (and gals) who did... and they all got out and went into different sectors of the financial services industry. To a person they told me that they all saw this coming... that health agents were on the same road that travel agents went down.

So my guess is that this is not a surprise to anyone here.

It won't be long until most insurance agents as well as securities brokers will be going down that road... replaced by robo-advisors... some of which are online now.

Robo-advisor (robo-adviser) Definition | Investopedia

:D You actually do try to add value and post on other relevant topics outside of the other forum!

The robo advisor is an old and debunked topic. Human interaction will always be needed. Regardless if it's the less informed (Navigators) from Hc.gov, Auto insurance coverage or other P and C products. The involvement of a live person to evaluate risks is a key role played. Something a virtual can't do.

Agents who are strictly salesmen will likely be eliminated by technology eventually to a large extent. They already are in the individual health market. The guys that are left have clients because they do a better job than the technology at getting the consumer what they need. Humans still value that human interaction and having an expert mind asses their situation.

Agents who give personalized and ongoing advice based on a persons specific circumstances will always stay in business in some form. There is a segment of the population that is ok with average run of the mill canned cookie cutter advice.... then there is a segment of the population that expects above average advice/service that is ongoing and tailored to their specific needs.

Not to mention that fact that no two robo-advisors are going to be the same. The algorithm used is still devised by humans and their biases towards the many different types of solutions available to a client. It is rare that there is 1 single solution that ALL of the experts agree is the best approach. And it is rare that all consumers agree on the same solution either.

Robo-advisors can be great for the right person or in the right circumstance. But they are hardly a cure all for real world issues beyond the basics.

Last edited:
I had health insurance clients that wanted me to continue to be their agent. Many of them still call with questions. I had to let them go because it was no longer profitable to write that line of business.

Scagnt83, that was a great explanation of robo-advisors.

NYLife11023, there are 2 sides to the story. Many agents got out early and made a wise choice. Other agents stayed in to reap a short-term windfall, and they also made a wise choice.

It just depends on your own skill sets and risk taking tolerance, plus the type of rewards that you expect from your decision.

But this was not a surprise to any experienced agent, whether they chose to stay in for the rise and fall, or leave early to build their Plan B. Not a surprise at all. It was predicted by probably 90% of experienced agents, plus a lot of economists, politicians, lawyers, CPAs, business owners, and regular family folk. A lot of regular family folks had enough common sense to know that you couldn't run a free for all smorgasborg and expect that hungry people wouldn't gorge on the lobster and prime rib.

So there are many agents that stayed for the short-term windfall, knowing it was short term. Others built their Plan B quickly, knowing a fall in ACA was coming.

When agents discuss this fall, the motivation is more than, "Oh, I lost commission!" This is a major hit to America, especially the middle class. In our state (Arizona), 3 carriers are left with rate increases like 86% and 122%. The 3rd carrier is at 19% (unless they pull out), and we know what claims loss ratio they will be hit with, which is another major concern. Doctors are closing practices and/or merging with the big hospital systems. Insurance companies are selling to bigger companies, reducing competition, which affects ACA policies but also Medicare, Group Health, and other products. This is not good news, all the way around. Predicted or not, it's a topic of discussion for agents who still provide for their clients in the health insurance segment.

You are a baseball player at the end of his playing career. He get an offer for 3 or 4 times his last contract... the new offer is for 3 years with a team option for a 4th.... Do you sign the contract? Do you decline the offer and go out and do something else? Did you decline the offer and then get bitter and mad because all your friends are still playing and hitting home runs, even making the all star game? It's your call....

Think about that for a bit and you will see and understand exactly whats going on with agents and the market

Back