@Michael Higdon

Okay, everyone here (myself included) has an opinion regarding religion and business, etc. However, your point in your original post was to give us context for the transition you are making into insurance sales.

In my opinion, there are two kinds of ministers:
- Those that speak to the ears (preachers) (who often speak to hear themselves)
- Those that communicate to the heart (ministers) (who help people reach new understandings and then help them to make new decisions)

Insurance sales... takes heart. In addition to everything else you need to learn and know, being able to communicate, listen, and help people through your products is what this profession is about. Empathy is what is needed in this business (which is different from sympathy).

You are simply making the transition from selling "after-life" insurance to life insurance (or whatever you'll be selling). The communication and skill set needed is very similar.

@Michael Higdon

Okay, everyone here (myself included) has an opinion regarding religion and business, etc. However, your point in your original post was to give us context for the transition you are making into insurance sales.

In my opinion, there are two kinds of ministers:
- Those that communicate to the heart (ministers) (who help people reach new understandings and then help them to make new decisions)

Insurance sales... takes heart. In addition to everything else you need to learn and know, being able to communicate, listen, and help people through your products is what this profession is about. Empathy is what is needed in this business (which is different from sympathy).

You are simply making the transition from selling "after-life" insurance to life insurance (or whatever you'll be selling). The communication and skill set needed is very similar.

Good analogy. Same can be made about teachers entering Insurance. Some time back seems like every other teacher was in insurance also. Primerica was a big one. ""
- Those that communicate to the heart (ministers) (who help people reach new understandings and then help them to make new decisions)""

Some people Talk to prospects and clients, Others have a conversation.

That's interesting about the teachers. The owner of my agency is a former teacher, as is the owner of another agency I work closely with. I always found that interesting.

There are threads about burnout and career change. Insurance sales and teaching are probably alike in gaining some and loosing some from later life switches.

Michael, work hard, stay motivated and take advantage of all the tools your boss gives you. Listen to the successful people that sit around you and takes notes/pick their brain on what they do and how they are successful. If you do those things, you're gonna be just fine.

Michael, work hard, stay motivated and take advantage of all the tools your boss gives you. Listen to the successful people that sit around you and takes notes/pick their brain on what they do and how they are successful. If you do those things, you're gonna be just fine.

Thank you for seeing the intent of my post and for your input.

Thank you for your replies. Even for the replies that I may not agree with. I value and respect diversity, freedom of speech, and I look down on no one who does not share my beliefs.

It seems that I may not have been clear in my original post.

I mentioned my ministry background because that’s my story and it helps me to communicate this within this particular forum setting, to establish a sense of who I am by sharing my own purview, among a particular group of peers. I’m not pushing religion and I never said I would talk about religion to my clients, or push my beliefs and values on others.

If I am not mistaken, this forum exists to assist fellow agents, by sharing experience, advice and knowledge with one another. All people have a story that applies to each individual in different ways. I shared about my ministry background in order to paint the clearest picture possible, of my particular set of circumstances, in hopes of receiving the most relevant advice, information, motivation and encouragement as I begin in the business. Once I gain some real experience, I hope to give back, by sharing my experience with others just starting out.

A person’s background matters, even if it involves one’s faith, because It communicates who you are and the values you try to live by. I posted an introduction, and thought it to be of benefit to share my particular journey to establish a framework, with the intent of gaining the most relative advice.

Ideally, spirituality can (but not always) help one to be more empathetic, altruistic, generous, honest, and can encourage one to grow and develope or enhance their personal integrity, not to seem better than anyone else, because I certainly am not. Disclaimer: I understand very well that there are Christians who do not practice what they preach). I’m pretty sure our society has experienced this from Christians and non Christians as well. To me, It is not about being perfect, it is about striving daily to do the right thing, at work and at home. Im not suggesting that one needs to be a Christian to possess and live by these values.

This is my introduction of who I am, and it describes my personal purview, like it or not. I’m not seeking approval, or spiritual advice. I’m seeking to learn from industry professionals. I don’t thump my bible to make a sale. I value all input and would appreciate advice pertaining to insurance sales. It seems the thread was hijacked a little, causing the point of focus to be the need for compartmentalization of my faith. But hey, this is a forum. It happens. In the future I will try to be more clear concerning the purpose of my post.

You want me to pray for you AND encourage you? That sounds like a lot.

That sounds like a lot to you perhaps. If it’s too much, maybe try just one. Got any encouragement for me? I kid, I kid. No worries sir.

your religion. As soon as I hear someone offering unsolicited advertisement of their involvement with the church, my guard goes up. Big time. Later I usually find they are screwing everyone over.
over.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry sir, but could you please point out my “un solicited advertisement of my church involvement”? Stating your experience and beliefs is not unsolicited advertising anything. You missed the entire point of what I said and why I said it. My point was that I’ve gone through some hardship ending in divorce, and the loss of a 20+ career. In moving past the aftermath and it’s adverse affect on my life and career, I am in the process rebuilding my life and starting a new career at the age of 47. Why the negativity? You don’t like my post? Maybe you could find one you do and contribute something positive.

Last edited:
Listen, you don't have to puke your religion all over someone to make a sale, be a nice person, do the right thing, or anything similar. So it's best keep at home. When I say "home", I mean keep it to yourself. Most people out there couldn't really care less how you feel about your religion, so why try and dump it on them? Others don't believe the same way you do anyway, so why try to change them? If you do, you'll likely end up losing a sale that you might have normally made.

[/QUOTE] Even so, I find that most people who talk so openly about their religion beliefs don't really know what they are talking about anyway. Do you realize how many so-called Christians there are out there that have never even read the bible? (I'll bet this is true of many who will read this post too!) So they go through life claiming to be something that they really aren't just because someone else told them they should. God gave us all a mind to use but many don't.[/QUOTE]

Even so, I find that most people who talk so openly about their religion beliefs don't really know what they are talking about anyway. Do you realize how many so-called Christians there are out there that have never even read the bible? (I'll bet this is true of many who will read this post too!) So they go through life claiming to be something that they really aren't just because someone else told them they should. God gave us all a mind to use but many don't.

Stereotypical assumptions and banket statements aren’t credible. Just because one claims to be a Christian, does not mean he/she lives a perfect life. ALL people, christians or not, make mistakes. We are human. To be fair, there are many who fit your blanket description , but there are many Christians who do not. Lumping all Christians together as being hypocrites, is a lot like racism. Descrimination is not a virtue.

Back