Guru
1000 Post Club
A Boy's Letter To His Dad

I've thought of you a lot, dear Dad
Since you have gone away;
I think of you and miss you
Each hour of the day.

For you were such a pal to me, and loved me, oh so true;
Not only that, but you were just as good to Mommy too.
We didn't think we'd lose you --You were so big and strong;
But when that awful sickness came, you didn't linger very long.
They say you're never coming back -It makes me feel so blue.

I thought I'd sit right down and write these lines to you.
I hate to tell you all the news, for it may make you sad;
For things are so much different since I lost my precious Dad.

But I said I'd write and tell you,
so I guess I'd better start;
And I hope you'll forgive me,
Even though it breaks your heart.

You know the nice big house we had, Mommy, Sister, you and me;

Well, we don't live there anymore
For we have moved, you see.
The landlord, he was awful,
And he wouldn't let us stay;
For when the rent day came around, Mommy could not pay.
I heard her say how she missed your paycheck every week;
And she was sad and cried so hard
That she could hardly speak.

She went to work the other day,
but I can't tell you where;
because she said you'd feel so bad if you knew she was there.
She doesn't earn much money,
and the work is hard to do;
but we will have to do our best, without the help from you.

I wish that I could help her ---But I am so small you see,
I wonder why God took my Dad,
instead of taking me.

I guess I won't go far in school,
as you wanted me to do;
Mother says it costs too much that she can't see me through.
Our neighbors say it's all your fault
For you didn't buy the plan that you were urged so hard to take by the Life Insurance man.

I'll bet if you could just come back and see us for a day, you would buy some Life Insurance
And you would buy it right away.
I know you meant to buy it, for I heard you tell the man,
that you "Would think it over" And some day buy the plan.

I guess I've told you all the news that I had better tell;
And I hope you'll forgive meIf it doesn't sound so well.

Just one more thing I'll tell you;
When I grow up to be a man, I intend to do some business with the Life Insurance man.

--- Author Unknown ---

Last edited:
I understand the letter, but I don't believe it would shame a reluctant prospect to buy, assuming you use it for that purpose.

I understand the letter, but I don't believe it would shame a reluctant prospect to buy, assuming you use it for that purpose.

I agree. However, if it was sent to a guy's wife and not to him it might make a huge difference.

Women can bring a ton of hurt down on a guy. :D

Nobody reads these and buys life insurance. We read it and go out into the field and paint this picture and others for our prospects. You can have all the poems and statistics in the world and it doesn't mean anything if you don't see/connect with the people. Use stuff like this so YOU can prospect with boldness not to think it will magically make somebody buy. This should encourage agents to prospect. If you can't prospect you are in the wrong business.

DEFINITELY don't use this type of scare tactic in attempting to close. It makes people pissed off. Keep it in mind, I agree with other responses you got on this. It will help you sell but is not something to share with prospects! Years ago, before getting into this biz, my hubby and I did not have life insurance. He wanted to go skydiving. I bought him this as a bday present but said FIRST life insurance. If you go down, I want to make sure me and the kids are taken care of.

DEFINITELY don't use this type of scare tactic in attempting to close. It makes people pissed off. Keep it in mind, I agree with other responses you got on this. It will help you sell but is not something to share with prospects! Years ago, before getting into this biz, my hubby and I did not have life insurance. He wanted to go skydiving. I bought him this as a bday present but said FIRST life insurance. If you go down, I want to make sure me and the kids are taken care of.

You are correct. This is definitely not a marketing piece, but rather intended for agents; that is the reason I posted this.

This was given to me many years ago by my sales manager and I have held onto it along with many other motivational pieces that I still refer to from time to time.

I have a much shorter and more effective statement:

When a husband/father is reluctant (on the fence) to buy life insurance from me, AND I've built a good rapport/relationship with him, I will tell him this:

"Husbands don't always believe in buying life insurance...
but widows ALWAYS do".

The "I have to talk to my wife" smokescreen never comes up after that.

Back